Premier Stephen McNeil and the leaders of the Progressive Conservative and New Democratic parties are calling on the federal government to launch a national public inquiry into missing and murdered aboriginal women and girls. “The tragic death of Loretta Saunders reminds us violence against women is a serious issue that must be dealt with,” said Premier McNeil. “I want to express my deepest condolences to Ms. Saunders’s family and friends, and the aboriginal community for their loss.” “I commend the federal government for its efforts so far, but I urge my federal colleagues to take this work one step further. It is time to launch a public inquiry into missing and murdered aboriginal women and girls,” said Premier McNeil. The premier wrote to the federal Ministers of Justice, Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development, and the Status of Women today, March 6, calling for the inquiry. “My heart breaks for Ms. Saunders’ family and friends. More must be done to end violence against women,” said Jamie Baillie, leader of the Opposition. “I appreciate the steps by the federal government to form a committee and investigate cases of missing aboriginal women and girls. A public inquiry is an important next step.” The federal government appointed a parliamentary committee to conduct hearings on the matter of missing and murdered aboriginal women. On March 7, the committee will table its report. “The tragic death of Loretta Saunders has brought attention to what is a troubling pattern all levels of government must work together to address,” said Maureen MacDonald, Leader of the Nova Scotia NDP. “Efforts must be made to examine and understand more fully what steps must be taken to end the unacceptable rate of death and disappearance among aboriginal women in Canada.” Violence against aboriginal women is an issue across Canada and a national approach is needed. The province continues to support initiatives that address violence against women. This work focuses on prevention, as well as, services for victims. During the July 2013 Council of the Federation meeting, premiers unanimously supported an inquiry. Premier McNeil, Mr. Baillie and Ms. MacDonald also thanked leaders of Nova Scotia’s aboriginal communities for their unwavering commitment to this significant issue.
Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, left, walks with Emir of Kuwait Sheikh Sabah Al Ahmad Al Sabah, right, prior to their meeting in Kuwait City, Kuwait, Sunday, July, 23, 2017. Erdogan is in a two day tour in the Middle East, that already took him to Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and will also visit Qatar. (Presidency Press Service/Pool Photo via AP) Turkish leader wades into Qatar dispute with Gulf tour KUWAIT CITY – Turkey’s president waded into the diplomatic crisis gripping Qatar and four other Arab nations on Sunday, travelling to Saudi Arabia and Kuwait as part of a three-country Gulf tour aimed at helping break the impasse.Recep Tayyip Erdogan is the fifth high-level visitor from outside the Gulf to try to resolve the dispute since it erupted on June 5. The top diplomats of Britain, France, Germany and the United States have all been through already, underscoring the depth of concern the crisis is causing well beyond the region.Erdogan faces a tougher challenge in securing a breakthrough than Turkey’s NATO allies because of the increasingly warm ties, including the deployment of military forces, it has built with Qatar in recent years. While members of the anti-Qatar quartet have strong trade links with Turkey, its closeness to Qatar raises suspicions of its motives for them.Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Egypt and Bahrain cut ties and transport links with Qatar in early June, accusing it of supporting extremists. Qatar strongly denies the allegation and sees the dispute as politically motivated.The quartet insisted Qatar accept a tough 13-point list of demands to end the rift, including shutting down news outlets including Al-Jazeera, cutting ties with Islamist groups such as the Muslim Brotherhood, limiting ties with Iran and expelling Turkish troops stationed in the country. Qatar refused, arguing that the demands were an effort to undermine its sovereignty.Turkey and Qatar announced plans to open Turkey’s first military base in the Persian Gulf in 2015. The base opened last year and new troops have arrived since the Gulf rift erupted, raising fears of an escalation with the countries seeking to isolate it.Fellow Gulf country Kuwait has attempted to mediate the dispute, so far without success. Erdogan met with Kuwait’s emir, Sheikh Sabah Al Ahmed Al Sabah, upon arrival in the country Sunday evening.Erdogan began his trip earlier in the day in Saudi Arabia, the Gulf’s political and economic heavyweight. During his visit to the Red Sea city of Jeddah, he held talks with King Salman and his presumed heir, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.Brief statements of both meetings carried by the official Saudi Press Agency emphasized that the talks focused on ways to counter terrorism in addition to touching on bilateral and regional issues.Qatari Emir Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani said in his first public comments on the dispute late Friday that Qatar is prepared to engage in dialogue, but that any resolution to the crisis must respect its sovereignty and that any terms cannot be dictated from outside. He also reiterated his country’s commitment to fighting terrorism.The anti-Qatar quartet has shown little sign of backing down.UAE Minister of State for Foreign Relations Anwar al-Gargash responded to the emir’s speech on Twitter saying that while dialogue is necessary, Qatar must review its policies because repeating its previous positions only “deepens the crisis.”Britain’s top diplomat welcomed the Qatari leader’s comments, however, and said his country will continue to work toward finding a solution.“We hope that in turn Saudi Arabia, UAE, Egypt and Bahrain respond by taking steps towards lifting the embargo. This will allow substantive discussions on remaining differences to begin,” British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson said in a statement Sunday.___Schreck reported from Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Abdullah al-Shihri in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, contributed to this report. by Hussain Al-Qatari And Adam Schreck, The Associated Press Posted Jul 23, 2017 8:59 am MDT Last Updated Jul 24, 2017 at 1:20 am MDT AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email
TAMPA, Fla. — Cam Newton and Jameis Winston know there’s no surefire way for a quarterback to lead a team out of a funk.What works in one situation may not necessarily be the answer in another.Newton’s second-place Carolina Panthers (6-5) have lost three straight games following a 6-2 start, moving closer to the bottom of the NFC South than the top.Winston’s getting another chance to lead the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (4-7) out of the division cellar after spending a month on the bench because of his propensity for making costly mistakes.“In the NFL, part of winning is not losing, not beating yourself,” Bucs coach Dirk Koetter said, reflecting on Winston delivering his best performance of the season to help Tampa Bay stop a four-game skid last week.“You have to just keep it simple,” said Winston, who lost his starting job after turning the ball over 11 times in 14 quarters.The fourth-year pro said the difference during last week’s 27-9 rout of San Francisco was his decisiveness with the football.“I’m thinking about one play at a time, one completion at a time, one game at a time,” Winston said. “It’s easier to keep it simple when you’re decisive, making quick decisions and getting the ball out of your hands.”The Panthers haven’t won since beating the Bucs 42-28 at home on Nov. 4. Kicking woes factored in narrow losses the past two weeks to Detroit and Seattle, however, and Newton said he’s focused on the next opportunity to get back on track.Win or lose, he has learned you give yourself 24 hours to get over the excitement or disappointment.“You can either celebrate or sulk and sob,” the Carolina quarterback said. “After that 24 hours is up, let it go. That has been so helpful for me in my growth as a man.”For Winston, Sunday’s game against the Panthers represents the next test in what amounts to an audition to determine if he’s Tampa Bay’s quarterback of the future.The 24-year-old didn’t face the Panthers last time. He was benched after throwing four interceptions the previous week at Cincinnati.Some things to watch when the NFC South rivals meet:NEWTON LIKES WHERE HE’S ATNewton said this week he’s playing the best football of his career, despite a three-game losing streak.Newton has thrown at least two TD passes in 10 straight games and seems to be thriving in Norv Turner’s offensive scheme.“I’m just feeling in control,” Newton said. “There are no question marks. My assuredness of every single play I know exactly what I’m supposed to do.”McCAFFREY ON THE RUNChristian McCaffrey last week became the first Panthers running back to eclipse 100 yards rushing and 100 yards receiving in the same game. His 237 yards from scrimmage against the Seahawks were the most in franchise history.McCaffrey had 157 yards from scrimmage and two TDs rushing in the last meeting with the Bucs.Newton joked that you shouldn’t call the 5-foot-10, 205-pound McCaffrey “small,” because he hates being labeled a small back.“C-Mac has defied all odds,” Newton said. “With C-Mac, he has always been a workhorse. He’s always been a playmaker. There’s no denying that. My thing is when you draft a person, is he comfortable with the game on the line?”WHERE ARE THE TURNOVERSCarolina’s defence has thrived on takeaways over the years, but they have been struggling in that area of late. The Panthers haven’t forced a turnover in the three games since they last played the Buccaneers. In that game they intercepted Ryan Fitzpatrick twice.EVANS VS. BRADBERRYIn the last meeting, Carolina cornerback James Bradberry put the clamps on Bucs receiver Mike Evans, holding Tampa Bay’s top receiver to one catch for 16 yards on 10 targets in a 42-28 victory at home.However, Bradberry has struggled in three games since giving up big plays in each of those games in losses to Pittsburgh, Detroit and Seattle.Bradberry is expected to draw Evans again.“They game-planned really well,” Evans said. “Even though they’re a one-high team, it felt like Eric Reid was just coming to me no matter what. And then Bradberry was underneath just pressing. So, I’ve got to be better, more physical, faster and stronger, and I think I will be this time around.”___AP Sports Writer Steve Reed in Charlotte contributed to this report.___More AP NFL: https://apnews.com/NFL and https://twitter.com/AP_NFLFred Goodall, The Associated Press