Residents shun open space plan

first_imgPrint Advertisement Email Twitter NewsLocal NewsResidents shun open space planBy admin – February 23, 2012 493 Previous articleMotorists flagged on Ballysimon delaysNext articleStart to lose weight today with SureSlim admincenter_img WhatsApp Youth Service have designs on Ballynanty siteRESIDENTS in Ballynanty Beg have expressed anger at plans to build a €1.8m state-of-the-art youth service centre on a green area in their estate.A planning application for a 1,150 sq.m. structure, over two-storeys, lodged with the Planning Department but withdrawn recently due to further information being sought, is to be resubmitted.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up At a protest meeting, a number of residents told the Limerick Post of their “shock discovery” of the development when council workmen commenced ground testing.“While Cllr Tom Shortt was supportive of the development, Cllr Michael Hourigan and Cllr Maurice Quinlivan, said we had the right to object,” said spokesperson, Anne-Marie Stack.“We had assumed the plans were for a youth club, not a youth service – there is a significant difference – we’ve had a lot of building here – the Thomond Park stadium, a new HSE Centre, a new car park – we were told that the green area would be left, but it now seems that has changed.“We are not against a youth service as such, but we are against it being built on this location, and I’m now proposing to the residents that we hold another meeting, this time with representatives from the Limerick Youth Service and members of the Garda Siochana, as well as people from all over the northside – Mayorstone, Shelbourne, Caherdavin etc., attending”.Said Cllr Michael Hourigan:“I will support them. The level of housing in this area is very intense and any green space should be retained for the people”.Cllr Maurice Quinlivan said it was regrettable that the residents of Ballynanty had not been consulted.“They are not opposing the concept of the centre, rather the location.“They have been very patient with the disruption they endure on days of matches and concerts to facilitate the success of Thomond Park and its contribution to the city in general. They have concerns and must be listened to”.Director of the Limerick Youth service, Catherine Kelly, said the Ballynanty site had been proposed to them by the city council“People living on the northside of the city have said they never see any sports or community activity taking place on the green area.“We want to move each of the services we already have on the northside into one dedicated youth service, but I would like, with our architect and design team, to meet with the local people – our brief is to work with 10-21-year-olds in the Youth Service in Ballynanty, which will be open access, after school and in the evenings, also on Saturday and only very occasionally on Sunday, but we do not, in any way, want to interfere”. Linkedin Facebooklast_img read more

French private sector schemes cut deficit with €2bn investment gain

first_imgThe scheme’s resources, mainly stemming from contributions from companies, amounted to €63.7bn in 2016. This was an increase of 3.1% from 2015, although this was partly the result of tweaks to previous payment calculations. The “real” increase was 2.3%, according to a statement from Agirc and Arrco.Pension benefits, meanwhile, amounted to €73.4bn in 2016, up by 2.8% from 2015.The technical deficit of €4.3bn takes into account a €5.4bn payment made to the schemes by AGFF, a vehicle set up by the Agirc and Arrco to finance the cost of early retirement. The deficit in France’s pension schemes for private sector employees and executives fell by around €700m to €2.24bn in 2016, helped in part by €2bn of return generated by the schemes’ reserves.The aggregate deficit across the two schemes – Arrco, for private sector employees, and Agirc, for executives – stood at €3bn in 2015.The schemes are part of France’s public pay-as-you go pensions system, covering round 22m active members and 15m pensioners. They are separate schemes for now, but are due to merge under reforms agreed in 2015 as part of an effort to tackle the funding shortfall. The technical deficit, which does not include financial returns generated from the investment of scheme reserves, amounted to €4.3bn in 2016.last_img read more

Yasiel Puig isn’t the only intriguing Reds outfielder in 2019

first_img“The last couple years, I didn’t work hard because I still have a contract to go,” Puig said. “Now I think I’ll work hard more than any year in my life.”  MORE: Opening Day schedule for all 30 MLB teamsHere’s why that’s not a big deal: Puig is the headline maker, but he’s not the only story that could unfold in a remodeled outfield for Cincinnati. Billy Hamilton (Royals) and Adam Duvall (Braves) are gone. Puig and Matt Kemp, also brought over from Los Angeles, are in and will fight for time with Jesse Winker, Scott Schebler and perhaps even 2016 first-round pick Nick Senzel, an infielder who’s getting outfield reps in spring training.  So, who fits where?  Puig started in right field in the exhibition opener, and that would appear to be where he’s expected to start. The bigger question is where he can carve out a niche in the order. Puig hit mostly in the bottom third of the Dodgers’ order last season, but there will be an opportunity to move up a few spots with the Reds. This is a chance for Puig to be a star, and he needs to take advantage of it.  If he doesn’t, then the other outfielders will take advantage.  Schebler has the most experience from last season. He hit .255 with 17 homers as a regular in right field and hit .296/.333/.456 against lefties. Knowing Puig hit .209 against lefties and is .250 for his career, there could be a platoon of sorts that leads to an opportunity for more starts in center field.  Kemp is a sleeper to watch this season. He hit .290 with 21 homers and 85 RBIs last season, but that’s not why he’s interesting in Cincinnati. Look at his .289 with 10 homers and 36 RBIs in 36 career games at the Great American Ball Park. Kemp hit a homer in his spring debut hitting behind Joey Votto, and he has a chance to scrape out enough at-bats across all three outfield positions (although he hasn’t played center field since 2014) to be a key contributor in the top third of the lineup.  MORE: Sporting News All-Stars return in 2019 Topps Heritage setWinker, a 2012 first-round pick, hit .299 with seven homers and 43 RBIs last season. He is favored to start in left field. That leaves Senzel, who hit .314 across the minors the past three seasons and fared well enough in Triple-A that it won’t be long before he’s in the lineup.   The outfielders who stick will be the ones who can provide protection for Votto and Eugenio Suarez. The outfielders who consistently hit in the leadoff and No. 3 spots around Votto will be the best bets for success. For Puig, that means working into the top third of the lineup — even if he doesn’t have as much recent experience in those spots.  There are enough outfield options to make for some excitement around the Reds, who have finished last in the NL Central each of the past four seasons. Puig can be a catalyst for that — and there is an opportunity to be that exciting contributor he was early in this career with the Dodgers. Puig says he’s going to work hard. If he doesn’t, then he won’t be able to cash in on that contract year. And one of those other stories in Cincinnati’s outfield will be much more interesting. The Reds made some bold offseason moves heading into the 2019 season, and none made a bigger splash then bringing Yasiel Puig into the mix.  Puig is in a contract year with the Reds, and his comments to ESPN about his time with the Dodgers made their own splash this week. last_img read more

SENSATIONAL STAR STAKES QUOTES – SATURDAY FEBRUARY 27, 2016

first_imgTRAINER QUOTES -30- FLAVIEN PRAT, RICHARD’S BOY, SECOND: “I had a good race today. Last time I rode him, I wasn’t on the lead and I think being on the lead today made all the difference. He’s so much better on the turf, he did a great job. It’s always sad to be beat by so little, but I don’t have any excuses.” GARY STEVENS, BOOZER, WINNER: “He loves this turf course. He runs well off the hill even though he hasn’t run off it for a while. Mark had him sharp today and he broke real sharp. I just followed Mike (Smith, aboard Forest Chatter) the whole way down the hill and when we crossed the dirt, I pushed the button and he just ground it out. He’s a lot of fun to ride, he’s a true professional.“I knew when I got up to the top of the hill before the race that he was sharp. He was on his toes; he was dancin’ and prancin’ around. He went into the gate aggressive. I told Mark this morning that I was going to try and put him on the lead, or close to it and he just smiled at me.” MARK GLATT, BOOZER, WINNER: “He comes with his game every time. Sometimes they’re a little bit better than him and sometimes we’re running him at a distance that he’s not at his best, because he’s a good Cal-bred, and to run against Cal-bred company, sometimes the distances fluctuate a little bit.“I think a mile, a mile and a sixteenth are his best distances, a mile and an eighth is a hair too far, and he runs good down the hill. I wasn’t really concerned about him shortening up. He’s pretty versatile.”center_img AL AND SANDEE KIRKWOOD, OWNERS, BOOZER, WINNER: “He’s definitely paid his way for us. We’ve had a lot of fun with him. He’s always competitive. He’s hardly ever off the board. He won a hundred -grander coming down the hill before (California Flag Handicap, Oct. 18, 2014). We ran him a mile-and-an-eighth last time, he ran third behind some real good horses, so we decided he had a little extra wind for this race and he sure did. Gary did a good job riding him and Mark Glatt’s done a good job training him.” NOTES: Winning owners Al and Sandee Kirkwood are from Ridgefield, Washington. They have been in racing since 1988. JOCKEY QUOTES last_img read more