Proposed broadcast licensing authority would give government control over media

first_img News Organisation News Receive email alerts Help by sharing this information RSF_en Asia – Pacific In rural India, journalists face choice between covering pandemic and survival Follow the news on Asia – Pacific June 10, 2021 Find out more Newscenter_img A bill currently before the Fijian parliament for the creation of a Broadcast Licensing Authority would provide the government with a way to control the news media, Reporters Without Borders warned today.“By replacing the existing regulatory body, the Fiji Media Council, by a new entity whose members would all be named by the information ministry, the government is trying to equip itself with a mechanism for controlling the media,” the press freedom organisation said.“The management of broadcast licences should not be entrusted to an offshoot of the government,” Reporters Without Borders continued. “We call for a revision of the bill to ensure that the media regulatory body is independent of the government.”According to the bill currently before a parliamentary select committee, the information minister would appoint all six members of the proposed Broadcast Licensing Authority, which would have the power to assign and withdraw broadcast licences, a role currently played by the independent Fiji Media Council. The proposed BLA would also have a say as regards programme content.The Fijian media, which for the most part did not get a copy of the bill until a few days before its submission to parliament, has condemned the government’s failure to consult them. An editorial in the Fiji Sun on 24 August called it a “gagging tool.” The head of the parliamentary select committee that is currently examining the bill, Simione Kaitani, said the proposed authority was needed to ensure the independence of Fiji’s media, and called on the public to support it. Mongolia : RSF urges presidential candidates to voice support for press freedom News August 28, 2006 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Proposed broadcast licensing authority would give government control over media June 7, 2021 Find out more to go further Asia – Pacific Pakistani TV anchor censored after denouncing violence against journalists June 2, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Groves eyes title clash against Stieglitz

first_imgGeorge Groves is hopeful of securing a world title shot against Robert Stieglitz following the Germany-based Russian’s surprise victory over Arthur Abraham.Stieglitz stopped Abraham on Saturday evening, regaining the WBO super-middleweight belt he lost to him on points in their first meeting.Groves is the WBO’s number one contender and was scheduled to fight Stieglitz for the title last year, but withdrew from the bout because of an injury.But the 24-year-old from Hammersmith is confident his big chance will come soon.Groves said: “I’m the number one contender and I hope the fight happens.“I was supposed to fight Stieglitz before but couldn’t because of the injury and I’m hoping the fight can be made.“I feel I’m ready. People talk about me as a prospect but I want that world title sooner rather than later.”Groves extended his unbeaten record with a second-round stoppage of Baker Barakat of Syria on the undercard of the Abraham-Stieglitz fight.See also:Groves eases to victory in GermanyBooth: Groves will relish his Arena return Groves weighs in ahead of O2 Arena 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 Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

Behind enemy lines, 49ers vs. Browns: 5 questions with opposing beat writer

first_imgSANTA CLARA — Here is what Browns beat writer Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com had to say of Monday night’s matchup between the host 49ers and Browns:1. Did that win over the Ravens validate all the offseason hype, or at least enough to save the Browns season?I actually do think it saved the Browns’ season. If they were 1-3 right now with this grueling stretch of the season coming up (49ers, Seahawk, Patriots on the road), things could’ve come apart this week. Instead, they pulled together and …last_img

School booklet in Odisha claims Mahatma Gandhi died due to ‘accidental reasons’, triggers row

first_imgDid Mahatma Gandhi commit suicide? A Gujarat school says so The Congress on Friday demanded the resignation of Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik, stating that the State government tried to distort facts by terming Mahatma Gandhi’s death an accident.Raising the issue in the State Assembly during Question and Zero Hour, Narasingha Mishra, Congress Legislature Party leader, said: “At national level, there have been attempts to portray Nathuram Godse as a hero and his statues are being worshipped following installations. It is a matter of shame.”“In Odisha, the State government has tried to toe a similar line by describing the death of Mahatma Gandhi as an accident. At a time when the nation is celebrating the 150 birth anniversary of Gandhiji, the government has come out with this piece of information that is highly deplorable,” said Mr. Mishra.Also Read A two-page brochure, ‘Aama Bapuji: Eka Jhalaka’ (Our Bapuji: A Glimpse) brought out by the School and Mass Education Department on the occasion of Gandhiji’s 150th birth anniversary says he died at the Birla House in New Delhi on January 30, 1948, in an accidental sequence of events.“We have shown utter disregard for the Father of Nation. It is a mistake committed knowingly or unknowingly. If the mistake is unintentional, Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik should beg the apology of the people of Odisha and if it is intentional, the Chief Minister should step down from his position,” he demanded.Mr. Mishra further said: “When people across the globe are inspired by Gandhiji’s ideology, why is the State government inspired by groups which are demonising Gandhiji and worshipping the killers of the great leader? The State government must come clean on the issue and withdraw the information brochure. All members of the Odisha Assembly should condemn the issue.”Terming the matter as grave, BJD leader Soumyaranjan Patnaik said, “This wrong information will become fodder for those who are insisting on rewriting the history. After 50 years, the information that appeared today will look like the authentic one. Everybody should condemn the distortion of facts and we must also condemn the conspiracy at national level to misrepresent facts about Gandhiji’.”Meanwhile, the State School and Mass Education Department has ordered a probe as to how Mahatma Gandhi’s death was described as accidental.last_img read more

Bayern Munich take on Borussia Dortmund in German Cup final

first_imgBayern Munich lost 5-2 against Borussia Dortmund in the 2012 finalBayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund will meet in a fitting German Cup final on Saturday.Germany’s top two sides for the last three seasons meet for the end-of-season title in Berlin’s Olympic Stadium for the second time in three years.Bayern, which defeated Stuttgart in last year’s final, is aiming to avenge its humiliating 5-2 loss to Dortmund in the 2012 final and complete the league and cup double in Pep Guardiola’s first season in charge.But Dortmund, which finished runner-up in the Bundesliga and – like Bayern – was knocked out of the Champions League by Real Madrid, is the domestic rival Bayern fears the most.Here are five things to know about Saturday’s match:LEWANDOWSKI’S LAST LOYALTYRobert Lewandowski will be playing his last game for Dortmund against his future side. The Poland striker signed a five-year deal effective July 1 with Bayern last January, after Dortmund failed in its attempts to extend his four-year contract.Rather than cash in on a transfer fee and allow Lewandowski leave last year, Dortmund opted to improve his conditions for the remaining year of his contract and lose him for nothing.The 25-year-old Lewandowski repaid the club with 20 league goals, six in the Champions League and two in the German Cup. Altogether, he scored 74 goals and set up 31 more in 131 Bundesliga appearances for Dortmund.”And we’ll have to do without this quality in the future. That’s bitter,” Dortmund coach Juergen Klopp said.BAYERN’S BALANCEadvertisementHistory is on Bayern’s side. The Bavarian powerhouse has played 20 of 71 German Cup finals – a record – and won 16 of them, also a record.Werder Bremen is next with six cup wins, followed by Schalke with five. If Dortmund wins on Saturday it will join Nuremberg, Cologne and Eintracht Frankfurt with four.Saturday’s match will be the 102nd competitive meeting between Bayern and Dortmund. Bayern has 46 wins to Dortmund’s 25, with 30 draws between the sides.Dortmund won most recently, 3-0 in Munich on April 12, while Bayern won the previous Bundesliga clash, also 3-0, in Dortmund on Nov. 23, when Mario Goetze scored against his former side.SCORES TO SETTLEThis will be the fourth final in six years between the sides. Bayern defeated Dortmund 2-1 after extra time in the 2008 German Cup final thanks to two goals from Italian forward Luca Toni.Lewandowski scored a hat trick in Dortmund’s memorable 5-2 cup win in 2012, but Bayern’s revenge came last year, when Arjen Robben struck late in London for Bayern to win the Champions League final 2-1.Interest is huge. Dortmund had more than 300,000 requests for tickets. The sell-out Olympic Stadium will only take 76,197.About 13.55 million viewers in Germany watched the final the last time these sides clashed and Saturday’s game will be shown in 182 countries, more than ever before.WATZKE’S WISHESDortmund chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke, who helped steer the club to sound financial footing after it teetered on the brink of bankruptcy in 2005, is enjoying his side’s rivalry with Bayern, despite the pain of seeing Goetze and Lewandowski switch sides in the past couple of seasons.”In recent years we’ve at least shown that we can defend ourselves and that we don’t have this humility (to Bayern) that has recently become commonplace in the Bundesliga,” Watzke said. “We always want to beat Bayern Munich.”He rejected suggestions of Bayern’s poor form – Dortmund has won seven of its last eight games since losing in Madrid compared to just six wins from Bayern in 11 games.”At the end of March everyone was writing that Bayern were the best team in the world, and that it would carry on for another 20 years,” Watzke said. “Four weeks later everything is suddenly bad. What are we talking about exactly?”SAMMER’S SOUND BITEBayern sporting director Matthias Sammer, a former Dortmund captain and then coach, has demanded full commitment from his side.”I expect a side on the pitch in which everyone, from a sporting perspective, says, ‘I’ll die for my teammates.’ Everyone has to give everything for the side and sacrifice himself,” Sammer said.Franck Ribery is likely to feature only as a substitute due to back problems.”I feel good but for it’ll be difficult for 90 minutes,” said Ribery, who stressed the importance of Saturday’s game. “If we lose, it’s no longer a good season.”Bastian Schweinsteiger, who is aiming for a record seventh German Cup win, is doubtful due to a tendon strain in his left knee. Thiago Alcantara is definitely out and will miss the World Cup for Spain after a recurrence of his right knee injury.advertisementlast_img read more

An ESPN Analyst Accidentally Tweeted A PornHub Link Instead Of His Article

first_imgAn ESPN sign hanging that's very oldESPN national recruiting analyst Gerry Hamilton may be in a bit of hot water after making an incredibly embarrassing mistake Wednesday afternoon. Hamilton, attempting to tweet out a link with video highlights of four-star linebacker recruit Roquan Smith, instead included a link to a PornHub video. He quickly deleted the post and replaced it with the correct link, but the damage was already done – numerous users screenshotted the transgression and began circulating it.Hey @Kmarkobarstool That link is NOT Roquan Smiths highlight tape FYI pic.twitter.com/cyJBEDyxmB— ElOsoBlanco (@BSElOsoBlanco) January 21, 2015The only saving grace? The link didn’t include any kind of clue as to what the video actually contained. Still, Hamilton is bound to hear about this from those higher up.last_img read more

ECJ to Work with Stakeholders in Removing Deceased Persons from Voters’ List

first_img Section 6 of the Electoral Commission Interim Act mandates the ECJ to compile and maintain the register of eligible electors. Story Highlights The Electoral Commission of Jamaica (ECJ) is extending its stakeholder partnerships in order to clear the names of deceased persons from the national voters’ list. Chairman of the Commission, Dorothy Pine-McLarty, explained that in order to effectively maintain this list “we must not only add the names of newly registered electors but we must also remove the names of electors who have died”. The Electoral Commission of Jamaica (ECJ) is extending its stakeholder partnerships in order to clear the names of deceased persons from the national voters’ list.Section 6 of the Electoral Commission Interim Act mandates the ECJ to compile and maintain the register of eligible electors.Chairman of the Commission, Dorothy Pine-McLarty, explained that in order to effectively maintain this list “we must not only add the names of newly registered electors but we must also remove the names of electors who have died”.“However, identifying and confirming deceased electors is not an easy task,” she said.She was speaking at a JIS Think Tank on November 28 where the ECJ announced the start of the ‘Dead Elector Removal Exercise’, which is aimed at clearing the voters’ list of persons who have died since 1998.Generally, the ECJ removes the names of deceased electors from the voters’ list through information provided by political parties and their representatives, the Electoral Office of Jamaica (EOJ) Returning Officers and the EOJ constituency staff.  They also receive a quarterly list from the Registrar General’s Department (RGD).“Concerns we have with that (RGD) list is that we are given name and age of death and when you seek to match that name and age to electors we have on our voters’ list, you end up with 20, 30, 40 persons with the same name, same age. As to which name you take off is a challenge,” shared Deputy Director of Elections, Earl Simpson, who was also at the Think Tank.To ensure accuracy, the EOJ has been going into the constituencies of each elector with the same name and age provided from the RGD, to confirm which one is the correct name to remove from the voters’ list. This method, Mr. Simpson admitted, is not effective.Through the Dead Elector Removal Exercise, a more efficient way of gathering the names of deceased electors has been identified.While EOJ verifiers will visit almost 300,000 homes of electors 40 years and older to confirm their status on the voters’ list, the ECJ will engage public and private stakeholders to share their death records with the EOJ.“We have started to have conversation with the Ministry of Health to ask them to give us access to their registration of death department in each hospital. If that is given, we will send data entry clerks to extract the information on persons who have died since 1998. We will be asking funeral homes, churches, the insurance companies, the RGD, the NIS, you name it, to provide us with that information,” Mr. Simpson said.The EOJ has already received information from some stakeholders and acknowledges that a partnership of this kind will help to achieve and maintain a voters’ list that is representative of the society.“It is the hope that we will continue with this process using this new method and have a relationship with the stakeholders going forward. So after we have exhausted the list in the hospitals, for example, we will seek to have a relationship with the hospitals where we can have the information on persons who have died, periodically,” Mr. Simpson said.“We will seek to have a similar relationship with all the other stakeholders going forward and, hopefully, we will be more in line in identifying the persons who have died on an ongoing basis,” he added.last_img read more