Two years after fraud accusations levelled against several employees within the Works Department of the Region 10 (Upper Demerara-Berbice) Democratic Council (RDC) had triggered investigations, new accusations have again begun to surface against some employees within that entity.This has reportedly led to another internal investigation. At the hosting of Thursday’s monthly statutory meeting, Regional Chairman Renis Morian outlined that the Council is still grappling with a number of issues relative to the Works Department.Regional Councillor Gordon Callender alluded to several alleged misdemeanorsA section of the RDC statutory meetinginvolving the staff. The allegations range from illicitly soliciting funds to inadequacies with bills of quantity, to favoritism in selecting family members to undertake contracts, and general inefficiency in the execution of contracts.Newly-appointed Regional Executive Officer (REO) Orrin Gordon, who is conducting the investigation, also alluded to inadequacies.According to Morian, inadequacies regarding bills of quantity are a sore issue for the Council. “There are a number of issues that we continue to grapple with…the Councillors do not have the confidence that the bills of quantity truly represent the work that is there, and in some cases…you see… excess quantities. It is a troubling area for us,” the Regional Chairman said, adding that there are also issues with receiving them in a timely manner.Meanwhile, Councillor Callender also pointed to alleged misdemeanors, which he noted were observed as recently as last year. “As recent as last year-end, I know projects went out from that Works Department, and I also know persons in that Works Department who bringing in sister, brother…contracts pass out of that place… We got proof. And I’m saying, persons also in that Works Department soliciting funds from people, because one man already started making allegations that one person inside there collect seven hundred and something thousand dollars from him. We know what going on…”, he said.Callender, who was quite vocal, made calls for an end to such issues, even threatening to mobilize Councillors to walk out of the Council should the issues persist.Callender added that the Council and its chairman are being disrespected by the administration, which he said is failing to execute its policies. He recalled previously when employees of the Works Department found themselves in hot water, triggering an investigation. Some of those staff, he said, were reinstated.The REO further pointed out that he is presently trying to assist with prior issues.Additionally, Councillor Sampson said the level of inefficiency within the Works Department keeps spiralling out of control. He stressed that he has seen jobs executed with variations.“Our Works Department got to step up its game…we seem to be moving very slow…,” Sampson said as he pointed to projects such as the Linden synthetic track and the construction of a new RDC building.
A Ballybofey teenager who sustained life-altering injuries after he was hit by a van as he crossed a road in Dublin city centre has settled his High Court action for €9.75m.Joshua Sweeney who is now 22 years of age, Mr Justice Kevin Cross was told, is non-verbal and has to use state-of-the-art eye gaze technology to help him speak. He has to use a wheelchair and needs 24-hour care. Plumber’s assistant and secondary school student Joshua Sweeney was crossing the road near Bus Aras in Dublin city centre on March 18, 2017, when he was knocked down.Interested in gaming and computers he had earlier in the day attended a gaming conference in the capital and was planning to get a bus home to Donegal. He suffered a skull fracture, a brain injury and other injuries and later had to have surgery.Joshua Sweeney (aged 22) of Eoghasel, Stranorlor, Ballybofey, had sued the driver of the van John Paul Maguire, Kerlogue Road, Irishtown, Dublin and the Motor Insurers Bureau of Ireland.He alleged that suddenly and without warning he was struck and knocked down as he lawfully crossed the road.He claimed against the driver that there was an alleged failure to keep any or any proper lookout and an alleged failure to take any effective evasive action. The claims were denied.The young man was rushed to hospital where he underwent an operation which involved intra-cranial pressure and monitoring.Last year the van driver, John Maguire, who has epilepsy was jailed for three-and-a-half years after he pleaded guilty to dangerous driving causing serious harm to Mr Sweeney.He also pleaded guilty to driving while suffering from a disease or mental disability which would render him a danger to the public. He had no previous convictions.In the Circuit Criminal Court, Judge Martin Nolan heard doctors had warned Maguire not to drive for a year after his last epileptic seizure, just two months before the accident. Maguire later told gardaí he had no recollection of the accident as he was having an epileptic fit at the time.Passing sentence and disqualifying Maguire from driving for six years, Judge Nolan said a fine young man had been left dependent for the rest of his life.The judge told Maguire despite the clear mitigating circumstances in the case, he had a “serious moral culpability” by ignoring an obvious risk.The court heard evidence from a witness to the accident that when the vehicle stopped he saw the driver frothing from the mouth and lying down in the passenger seat.In the High Court, Michael Byrne SC for Mr Sweeney told the court Joshua is cared for by his mother and it is their wish he can now be looked after at home.Approving the settlement, Mr Justice Cross said Mr Sweeney had suffered a life-altering accident. He said the settlement was a good one and the man’s legal representatives had done a very good job for him.The Sweeneys were not in court for the approval of the settlement.Ballybofey man struck by van receives €9.7M after life altering injuries was last modified: November 19th, 2019 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:accidentBallybofeycourtGavelJoshua Sweeneyvan