An extensive search operation was launched yesterday (Sat) by the Gardaí in the Twin Towns, it has emerged. The Rescue 118 helicopter and Gardaí were dispatched on Saturday night, with other agencies also involved.It is not understood at this time the nature of the operation in Ballybofey/Stranorlar area. We will bring you more as we get it.Extensive search operation launched in Twin Towns overnight was last modified: September 8th, 2019 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
20 February 2007South Africa will launch a new state-owned company in March that will provide long-distance connectivity to the country’s telecommunications market “on a cost basis,” Public Enterprises Minister Alec Erwin announced last week.Briefing journalists in Cape Town, Erwin said the new company, Infraco, would not be a full-fledged telecommunications company itself, but would act as a provider of broadband capacity through fibre-optic cables to other operators in the country.It already has an initial agreement with South Africa’s second fixed line telecommunications operator, Neotel.The government has created Infraco by bringing together fibre-optic cable networks originally built by state companies Eskom and Transnet, both shareholders in Neotel. Erwin added that Neotel would “become more active in coming months”.Bringing down telecoms costsThe move forms part of South Africa’s attempts to bring down the costs of telecommunications and internet connectivity in the country.“Broadband is viewed as a key driver of economic growth and wealth generation, and therefore it is essential for South Africa to gain access to universally available, reliable and affordable broadband,” Erwin said.Infraco, he said, would price its broadband supply not for profit maximisation, but rather to ensure affordability. This could be regulated as the costing and pricing of Infraco’s fibre-optic network was under direct government control.“That’s obviously going to create a very important floor, or reference, price in the broadband system” which would have an important role in providing cheaper broadband to all South Africans, the minister said.“We are very confident this will have a major impact on telephony prices.”Complementing SentechErwin also cleared the confusion around the role of state-owned signals provider Sentech stating it will be providing internet connectivity through wireless systems rather than fibre-optic cables.Sentech would also focus on delivering connectivity to the government and wider public sector, including heath and education facilities and municipalities.“These are complementary activities – far from being in competition, they will complement each other and the private sector will continue to play a gigantic role in this area.”In moving to provide mass broadband capacity and services, South Africa was heading in the direction of developed economies that recognised the importance of providing “ubiquitous” – not just universal – access to information and communication technology, Erwin said.Source: BuaNews
EMC Greenplum has pulled a YouTube video it produced that depicted Larry Ellison with a gift box tied to the fly of his pants. It was supposed to be a joke about Oracle’s “cloud in a box,” strategy. Now it has turned out to be an embarrassment and EMC has removed it. Tags:#cloud#cloud computing#Data Centers Serverless Backups: Viable Data Protection for … David Linthicum posted the video late last week. At the time, the video was making the rounds on various video communities. Now we can’t find a copy of of the video on any site, anywhere. The video is part of a series EMC is doing that features a Larry Ellison impersonator as the Exalogic machine and the supposedly cool guy from EMC as EMC Greenplum. The spots are obvious copies of Apple’s “I’m a Mac,” ad campaign. The only problem? These videos are hokey.In this video, EMC makes a joke of Oracle’s pipeline and how big it is. Yes, they also make a joke about artificial enhancement. Classy, huh? When he posted the article on InfoWorld, Linthicum had this to say about the video:Don’t get me wrong: I’m all for having technology company take innovative approaches to marketing, such as stealing premises from Apple and hiring actors that look like billionaire software executives and attaching props to their crotch. However, EMC cloud is missing the core message and, thus, any potential customers it is trying to reach. Cloud Hosting for WordPress: Why Everyone is Mo… Related Posts Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting Linthicum states it best when he says both Oracle and EMC really want you to buy more software and hardware. That really is about the extent of it. He’s right. Both Oracle and EMC are trying to sell customers on the need to buy millions of dollars in new data center equipment. Is that cloud computing? We hardy think so.But they are not alone. It’s a trend we see emerging from Hewlett-Packard and Microsoft, too. The companies recently announced a new line of data warehouse appliances, designed for companies building private clouds. The $2 million appliances are intended to counter recent offerings from Oracle and IBM. How Intelligent Data Addresses the Chasm in Cloud alex williams
Touch Football Australia (TFA) in partnership with the New South Wales Touch Association (NSWTA) are proud to announce that the upcoming Trans Tasman between Australia and New Zealand will be conducted in Wollongong, New South Wales. TFA in conjunction with the assistance of the New South Wales Touch Association (NSWTA) will conduct the event at North Dalton Park. In what is an exciting opportunity for the parties to work together the NSWTA has also announced the location as the venue for the Under 14 and 16 Regional Championships to run in conjunction with the Trans Tasman. This allows for the sports elite to be showcased in front of the states best youth players. The NSWTA will be looking to extend the opportunity for attendance at this event to various developing States therefore expanding the opportunity for the young players of Australia to view what is the pinnacle of the representative pathway. The Trans Tasman will be conducted from the 24-26 of April 2009 with the NSWTA 14/16 Regional Championships held on 25-26 of April. This ensures the Trans Tasman will be integrated into the NSWTA Regional youth competition to ensure maximum exposure. The format will be agreed upon by TFA and Touch New Zealand in the near future and this is also the recommencement of regular competition between the traditional rivals which was announced earlier this year. This event will be contested in the three Open Divisions in a Three Test Match format. It is currently envisaged that in order to ensure the success of the joint initiative that one game will be played each day in each division. TFA and TNZ will play a return leg in New Zealand in November 2009. TFA and TNZ will be covering off on a Heads of Agreement (HOA) in the near future and NSWTA will be consulted fully on the process to ensure the 14/16 Regional Championships requirements are considered. Further to this TFA and the NSWTA will develop a HOA on the relationship for delivery of the event. This will ensure the mutual needs are met. TFA and the NSWTA will be making joint media releases in the near future to outline the significance of the event. Both parties are pleased to be working on what will be a showcase for the sport. All parties will work through the specific requirements early in 2009. The opportunity to conduct the event in this region is recognition of the fine work conducted both within the affiliated infrastructure and in hosting events. It is the belief of both TFA and the NSWTA that this will showcase one of the benefits of affiliation within the area.
For Ohio State football, it doesn’t get much better than what happened inside The Horseshoe on Saturday. The Buckeyes beat their archrival, on Senior Day, in front of 105,000-plus screaming fans, to finish the season undefeated. As the final seconds ticked off the clock, handing OSU a 26-21 victory against Michigan and securing a 12-0 record, scarlet and gray clad enthusiasts rushed the field, surrounding Buckeye players and coaches as they joyously – and slowly – made their way to the locker room. For first-year coach Urban Meyer, and the rest of Buckeye Nation, the 2012 season was about as good as it gets. Until next year, anyway. Yes, the 2012 season was great. Perfect, in a sense. But due to NCAA sanctions caused by “Tattoo-Gate,” the Buckeyes are banned from the postseason. OSU’s year ended after the Michigan game. No Big Ten Championship Game. No shot at playing for a national championship, either. There is no postseason ban for the 2013 season, and the foundation has been set in Columbus to win championships. OSU is expected to return 9 of 11 starters next year from an offense that averaged 37.1 points per game this season. Sophomore quarterback Braxton Miller is likely to be a Heisman Trophy front-runner in 2013. Redshirt junior running back Carlos Hyde, who rushed for 146 yards and a touchdown against the Wolverines, is “developing into one of the best backs in the country,” according to Meyer. On defense, the Buckeyes lose a bevy of senior leaders and playmakers, including defensive ends John Simon and Nathan Williams, and linebackers Zach Boren and Etienne Sabino. Junior defensive tackle Jonathan Hankins and redshirt sophomore cornerback Bradley Roby could leave for the NFL as well. But sophomore linebacker Ryan Shazier, a Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year candidate this season, returns. So do both starting safeties, freshman defensive linemen Adolphus Washington, Noah Spence and Tommy Schutt. The senior class, which Meyer refers to as the “most selfless group I’ve ever been around,” will not be easy to replace. But the Buckeyes experienced a great deal of success in 2012, and the large amount of players that are coming back are anxious to experience it again. “I’m hoping the guys get that taste and they want to do it again. Because once you taste (success), it tastes really good. And the foundation, I think, is strong,” Meyer said after the game Saturday. OSU will celebrate what it achieved this season, and deservedly so. But many underclassmen are already excited for next September. “We’re just glad that the team got to feel what it’s like to be 12-0 so next year, we’re just as hungry in the offseason to get there again,” said junior wide receiver Corey Brown. Because of the postseason ban, OSU players didn’t get everything they said they feel they deserved this year. In 2013, there will be no sanctions holding them back, and they’re looking forward to it. “We’re just going to come out hungry next year though, to get what we were supposed to get this year,” Hyde said. As for Meyer, he is really only getting started. He’s been at the helm of the OSU football program for roughly 12 months, and in that time, turned a 6-7 team in turmoil into a 12-0 team on the upswing. He’s starting to get “his guys” into the program – players that he recruited, not past OSU coaches. The freshman class, which Meyer was largely responsible for, played a big role this season. Washington had a sack and a forced fumble Saturday, while Schutt and Spence were in on numerous third-down situations, often forcing Michigan’s quarterbacks out of the pocket. Meyer said there were a “bunch of recruits in the meeting room again,” after the game. His 2013 class is ranked in the top 10 in the country by multiple sites. And while many criticized OSU’s schedule this season, 2013 could be easier. Michigan State and Nebraska are off the schedule, and replaced with Northwestern and Iowa, who went a combined 13-11 this year. The biggest non-conference game is likely to be at California, which recently fired its coach Jeff Tedford. OSU is likely to be favored in all of its regular season games next season. If all goes well for the Buckeyes in 2013, they could be riding a 23-game win streak when they arrive to Ann Arbor, Mich., on November 30, 2013. In all, Meyer’s first year in Columbus seemed to go as well as could have been planned. Such success, though, likely has amplified expectations, and possibilities, for the future. “I’m ready to go right now. I’m ready to get back into the off-season, working out and preparing for next season,” Hyde said. “I can’t wait.”
Freshman guard D’Angelo Russell (0) drives toward the basket during a game against North Carolina A&T on Dec. 17 at Nationwide Arena. Russell led the Buckeyes in scoring with 21 points in OSU’s 97-55 win. Credit: Mark Batke / Photo editorA change of scenery didn’t seem to affect the No. 12 Ohio State men’s basketball team as it rolled to yet another blowout victory, extending its record to 9-1 on the season.Playing a home game down the road at Nationwide Arena in downtown Columbus, the Buckeyes jumped out to a 17-2 lead and didn’t look back as they defeated the North Carolina A&T Aggies, 97-55, Wednesday night.The early run by OSU was started by sophomore forward Marc Loving, who buried a three-pointer to open the scoring. Freshman guard D’Angelo Russell also contributed to the fast start, as he added seven points in the first 3:20 of the game.Loving finished the night with 15 points on 4-5 shooting. Russell led the Buckeyes with 21 points on 7-14 shooting.Loving said after the game that playing at Nationwide Arena gave the game a slightly different atmosphere.“It had a Big Ten Tournament feel to it,” Loving said. “Coming into the game, being in a different facility than the Schott, it was something that we are not used to.”The Aggies (1-11) tried to make a late run at the end of the first half, as a pair of three-pointers by junior guard Arturs Bremers cut the OSU lead to 39-26 at halftime.OSU coach Thad Matta said after the game that the mini-run by the Aggies was due to missed opportunities.“I think that we went through a couple lulls where shots weren’t falling,” Matta said. “We just weren’t as aggressive as we needed to be on the defensive end.”OSU senior guard Shannon Scott, who recorded a career high seven steals, to go along with eight points and 12 assists said after the game that Matta got on his team at halftime.“We were up only 13 points I think at halftime and we felt like we should have been up by a lot more,” Scott said. “We took pride in playing more defense and getting more shots up.”The Buckeyes would pull away early after the break, as OSU outscored the Aggies 28-10 in the first eight minutes of the second half.Redshirt-freshman guard Kam Williams scored all 15 of his points in the second half, as he shot 6-11 from the field.With nine minutes left to play in the game, all 10 Buckeyes that had taken the floor had scored at least two points.The Buckeyes turned the Aggies over a total of 26 times throughout the course of the game, which led to 40 points.Aggie coach Cy Alexander said after the game that by the time his team settled in to the game, it was too late.“We were a little intimidated early on and got down,” Alexander said. “I thought we competed really hard all game, especially in the first half. Give Ohio State a lot of credit, they took advantage of our turnovers.”Despite the blowout win, the Aggies hung with OSU on the boards as each team recorded 32 rebounds.OSU also converted on its first 17 free throws of the game and finished 20-22 from the charity stripe, with the first miss coming from freshman forward Jae’Sean Tate.The free throw shooting is something Matta said he thought the Buckeyes could take advantage of coming into the game.“We felt like we were going to get to the line tonight, (and I) was very pleased with how guys knocked them down,” he said.The Aggies were led by junior forward Bruce Beckford, who scored 15 of the Aggies first 20 points and finished with a game-high 26 points on 11-20 shootingAlthough OSU won in convincing fashion, Matta was not pleased with the way Beckford dominated the Buckeye defense.“No. 32 (Beckford) had just an incredible night. I told our guys at one of the timeouts, ‘we are making this guy look like a first round draft pick,’” Matta said.The Buckeyes now turn their attention to a showdown with the No. 24 North Carolina Tar Heels in Chicago on Saturday afternoon. The matchup will be just the second ranked opponent that OSU will have faced thus far this season.Matta said after the game that he had already started looking at film on the Tar Heels.“Obviously, (they are) a tremendous basketball team. Their size is something that (North) Carolina has always had. A lot like Louisville, they are going to try and pound the ball inside on us.”The Buckeyes are set to return to the court Saturday in Chicago against the North Carolina Tar Heels in the CBS Sports Classic. Tip is scheduled for 1 p.m. EST.
Source = Collette Explore Greenland and Iceland on board Collette’s New Nordic Voyage tourExplore Greenland and Iceland on board Collette’s New Nordic Voyage tourCollette has launched an exciting new tour of Greenland and Iceland inviting travellers to experience the unique culture and spectacular world heritage-listed landscape, whilst cruising on board the MV Ocean Atlantic.The nine-day Greenland & Iceland: A Nordic-Inspired Voyage tour starts in Iceland’s capital, Reykjavik, where guests can take a dip in the warm mineral-rich waters of the Blue Lagoon, and journey to the Golden Circle – three stunning locations in south west Iceland: Thingvellir National Park – including the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, a UNESCO world-heritage site where the North American and Eurasian tectonic plates meet, the Geysir Geothermal area and Gullfoss Waterfall.The tour boards the MV Ocean Atlantic in Greenland, starting with a cruise through the frosted blue waters of the Kangerlussuaq fjord and explores the historic town of Sisimiut and Qeqertarsuaq, nestled in picturesque Disko Bay. The cruise includes a visit to the magnificent natural highlight – the Eqip Sermia Glacier, one of the most active glaciers in Greenland renowned for its jaw-dropping beauty, and Ilulissat, the “Iceberg Capital” where massive icebergs surround the natural marvel, the UNESCO world-heritage listed Ilulissat Icefjord.Throughout the tour, guests are encouraged to try local cuisine and immerse themselves in local cultural experiences, including the unique traditions of Greenland’s native Inuit during a visit to a remote fishing village, and partaking in a traditional Greenlandic kaffemik ceremony. In Iceland, the tour also visits a family-run greenhouse to learn how geothermal energy is used to grow vegetables.Departure dates for the Greenland & Iceland: A Nordic-Inspired Voyage tour include 16, 21 and 26 August 2019 and start from $7,074 per person.The tour complements Collette’s suite of popular polar tours to Iceland, including the 7-day Northern Lights, 9-day Fire & Ice and 10-day Icelandic Adventure tours, Finland 7-day Northern Lights tour and 13-day or 16-day voyages to ‘the white continent’, Antarctica.Visit www.gocollette.com.au for further information and bookings.
September 8, 1999Soleri meeting the new workshopand elderhostelers.Photos by: Doctress Neutopia