The mandate of the Compensation Committee is to investigate and determine claims for compensation, loss and damage to properties and to determine the compensation payable to injured persons and to the personal representatives of deceased persons in respect to the events of May 2010. Story Highlights Senator Ruel Reid said the additional time is necessary, given the volume of work to be completed. The West Kingston Incursion Victim Compensation Committee has been given a one-month extension to complete its work. The West Kingston Incursion Victim Compensation Committee has been given a one-month extension to complete its work.Making the disclosure at yesterday’s (September 13) post-Cabinet press briefing at Jamaica House, Minister of Education, Youth and Information, Senator the Hon. Ruel Reid, said Cabinet has approved payment of a balance of $23.9 million to the Chairman and Commissioners of the Committee.Senator Reid said the additional time is necessary, given the volume of work to be completed.The Committee, which is Chaired by Hon. Justice Seymour Panton, is looking into issues of compensation for the estate of persons who were killed, detained or suffered loss and damage to property during the May 2010 West Kingston upheaval.The establishment of the Committee was one of the recommendations of the Commission of Enquiry Report.The mandate of the Compensation Committee is to investigate and determine claims for compensation, loss and damage to properties and to determine the compensation payable to injured persons and to the personal representatives of deceased persons in respect to the events of May 2010.Other members of the committee are Ministers of Religion, the Reverends Rennard White and Herro Blair Jr. Carlene Larmond, an attorney experienced in litigation, serves as Legal Advisor to the Committee.
Lucknow/Mirzapur (UP): The Uttar Pradesh government on Tuesday said it would examine the FIR against the journalist who recorded a video of schoolchildren being served salt and roti as midday meal last month, amid growing resentment over the case against him.”Action has been initiated against all those found prima facie guilty in the entire matter,” state government spokesperson Shrikant Sharma said. “As far as the FIR is concerned, we are getting it examined.” Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM’The energy minister was responding to questions in Lucknow after a briefing of the cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath. The video of students of being served salt and roti in their midday meal at a government-run primary school in Mirzapur district had gone viral on social media on August 22, triggering widespread outrage and leading to the suspension of two teachers. The police had lodged a case on Monday against journalist Pawan Kumar Jaiswal and a representative of a village head, Rajkumar Pal, for allegedly conspiring and deliberately recording the Also Read – Farooq demands unconditional release of all detainees in J&Kvideo in a well-planned manner to malign the state government. Jaiswal and Pal have been booked under sections 120B (criminal conspiracy), 186 (obstructing public servant in discharging duty), 193 (false evidence) and 420 (cheating) of the Indian Penal Code, the police had said. In Mirzapur, media persons held a protest at the district collectorate on Tuesday over lodging of the first information report (FIR). A delegation of around 25 reporters also met Vindhyachal Divisional Commissioner Anand Kumar Singh and demanded that the case against the journalist be withdrawn. “We want that the entire episode be investigated. The divisional commissioner said he will seek a report in this regard from the district magistrate and act accordingly,” Mirzapur Press Club secretary Ajay Shankar Gupta said. Meanwhile, when confronted by reporters, District Magistrate Anurag Patel said it was not the way to report the salt-roti incident, adding that the reporter, who works in the print media, could have taken a photograph instead of recording the video.