Sachin Tendulkars son Arjun enters big league bought for Rs 5 lakh

first_imgUnlike his father, Arjun is a left-arm seamerCircle of Cricket India/FacebookFollowing in your successful father’s footsteps is very difficult. Just ask Abhishek Bachchan or Rohan Gavaskar. Now, it’s the turn of Arjun Tendulkar, son of the great Sachin Tendulkar, to try and take on this onerous responsibility. So far, the lad seems to be doing just fine.His latest achievement is to be bought at the maximum-possible price for the upcoming edition of the T20 Mumbai League. He was purchased in the auctions for an amount of Rs 5 lakh by a team called Aakash Tigers Mumbai Western Suburb.The auctionThe base price for the bearer of proud Tendulkar name was set at Rs 1 lakh. It wasn’t going to be enough as the franchises spiritedly tried to outbid each other for the budding left-armer. Eventually, a bid of Rs 5 lakh was made by a team called North Mumbai Panthers. Since this was the highest bid possible, there was only one way to move forward. They could exercise the Opportunity to Match (OTM) option. Two teams, Eagle Thane Strikers and Aakash Tigers, availed themselves of the OTM. This meant that these two remained in the race to have the junior Tendulkar playing for them. Arjun Tendulkar is a budding left-arm seamer and a useful batsmanReutersIt came down to the luck of draw as cards bearing the name of the two teams were put into a bag and a senior Mumbai Cricket Association official asked to draw one out. The lucky team turned out to be the Tigers. Interestingly, Sachin happens to be the brand ambassador of the league and can be seen in the television ads being aired.Moving through the gradesArjun has so far succeeded in making a mark not just in Mumbai cricket but also at the national level. He has had the opportunity to play for India under-19 side in unofficial ‘Tests’ against their Sri Lankan counterparts. Unlike his father, Arjun is a left-hander and primarily a seamer who can also be a useful batsman. It can be recalled that Sachin also had ambitions to become a pace bowler and had applied for admission at the MRF Pace Academy. He was rejected by Australian great Dennis Lillee due to lack of speed.Much taller than his father, Arjun seems to be heading more successfully in that direction. Will he succeed? Only time can tell. However, it is a testament to the great Tendulkar that when he was at that age where his son is currently, he was already established in the Indian team and had even scored a hundred at Perth. Such precocious talents come rarely.last_img read more

Saudi airport attack 1 killed 21 injured as Yemeni rebels strike ahead

first_imgThe attack launched by Yemen’s Houthi movement killed one person and wounded 21.ReutersYemen’s Houthi movement launched an attack on Abha civilian airport in southern Saudi Arabia on Sunday that killed one person and wounded 21 others, the Saudi-led coalition battling the group in Yemen said.US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo arrived in Saudi Arabia on Monday to conduct talks on creating a global coalition against Iran along with United Arab Emirates. The US-Iran tensions peaked after US blamed Iran for the oil tanker attacks in the Gulf of Oman region earlier this month.Houthi-run Al-Masirah TV earlier said that the Iran-aligned movement had targeted Abha and Jizan airports in the south of the kingdom with drones attacks.”A terrorist attack by the Iran-backed Houthi militia targeted Abha airport, killing a Syrian resident and wounding 21 civilians,” the coalition said in a statement carried on Saudi state television.It did not confirm an attack on Jizan airport.Saudi-owned Al Arabiya TV said a suspected drone hit the parking lot in Abha airport, which is about 200 km (125 miles) north of the Yemen border and serves domestic and regional routes.Saudi state TV said flights had resumed at the airport, where operations were now running normally.Earlier this month, a Houthi missile hit Abha airport in a strike that wounded 26 people. The Western-backed Sunni Muslim coalition led by Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates intervened in Yemen in 2015 to try to restore the internationally recognised government that was ousted from power in Sanaa by the Houthis in late 2014.The Iran-aligned Houthis have stepped up missile and drone attacks on Saudi cities in the past month amid rising tension between Iran and Gulf Arab states allied to the United States.Riyadh has accused Iran of supplying the Houthis with the weapon used in the June 13 attack on Abha airport. Tehran and the Houthis deny coalition charges that Iran supplies the Houthis with missiles and drones.”DESTABILIZING ACTIVITY” The Saudi-led military coalition has targeted Houthi military sites around the capital Sanaa and Hodeidah port city.Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Britain and the United States, in a joint statement published by the Saudi Embassy in Washington on Sunday, voiced concern about the escalation in Houthi attacks – without any mention of the latest drone launches.The quartet also voiced concern about “dangers posed by Iranian destabilizing activity” to peace and security both in Yemen and the broader region, citing attacks on oil tankers in Gulf waters.Tehran has denied involvement in the tanker attacks, which no one has claimed responsibility for.The escalation in violence threatens a UN-sponsored deal for a ceasefire and troop withdrawal from Hodeidah, which became the focus of the war last year when the coalition tried to seize the port, the Houthis’ main supply line and a lifeline for millions of Yemenis.The quartet’s statement called on all Yemeni parties to engage constructively with U.N. special envoy Martin Griffiths to accelerate the implementation of the agreement.The deal, reached peace talks in Sweden last December, had stalled for months before the Houthis unilaterally withdrew from three Red Sea ports in Hodeidah. The Saudi-led alliance has yet to verify the redeployment or meet it by pulling back pro-coalition troops massed on the outskirts of Hodeidah.last_img read more

Trump promises press conference on IS fight

first_imgDonald TrumpUS President Donald Trump on Monday promised to reveal details of his long-awaited plan for fighting the Islamic State group, saying a press conference will come within weeks.“We have had tremendous success against ISIS,” Trump said at a cabinet meeting at the White House.“We are going to be having a news conference in two weeks on that fight and you’ll see numbers that you would not have believed.”Tackling the group-which still controls swaths of Syria and Iraq-was among Trump’s most often repeated campaign promises.Then candidate Trump went as far as to promise to “bomb the hell” out of them and have a military plan on his desk within 30 days of moving into the White House.Six months after taking office, Trump has yet to sketch out his strategy.Meanwhile efforts to retake Mosul in Iraq and Raqa in Syria-the capital of the self-styled caliphate-have continued apace.The Pentagon has already taken the decision to arm Kurdish fighters in the assault on Raqa, a move that upset US ally Turkey.Officials warn that the fight against the Islamic State, while simple on its face, is made more complex by competing interests in Syria.The United States would like to improve the humanitarian situation, keep Turkey onside, ease the possibilities of clashes with Russia, hasten the transition away from President Bashar al-Assad’s rule, limit Iranian influence and keep Syria and Iraq’s borders intact.last_img read more