The National Weather Service precipitation map shows a coastal storm grazing Ocean City on Saturday. Some media reports earlier this week would have you believe the region would be buried under blizzard snows.But the short-term forecast calls for two chances of little more than a dusting for Ocean City. The first comes Saturday afternoon, the next on Sunday night.The edge of a coastal storm may clip Ocean City on Saturday.“Some LIGHT snow is possible/likely, moreso the farther southeast in South Jersey you are,” NBC40 meteorologist Dan Skeldon posted on Friday. “Nothing major, but a dusting to a few inches is the snowiest scenario I could envision from this.”Skeldon expects a weaker system to bring another chance for a “coating to an inch” on Sunday night.The National Weather Service forecast calls for a high of 35 degrees on Saturday, 36 on Sunday and 33 on Monday. On Tuesday, the forecast calls for a high of 28 and low of 15 degrees.For all those who are tired of winter, it’s just 105 days until the start of Memorial Day Weekend.
Coronavirus press conference: 15 April 2020Good afternoon and welcome to the daily coronavirus briefing.I am joined by the Chief Medical Officer, Professor Chris Whitty, and the Deputy Chief Scientific Adviser, Angela McLean.I want to start by thanking everyone who is staying at home, even in this sunshine. Together, we are slowing the spread of this virus. And I want to pay a special tribute today to Captain Tom Moore who, at the age of 99, has raised over £7 million so far for NHS charities by completing 100 laps of his garden. Captain Tom, you’re an inspiration to us all and we thank you.At the core of our plan is to protect the NHS from being overwhelmed, so its ability to care for everybody that needs that care is always there and is never outmatched by the ability of the virus to do us harm. That is central to our plan and I’m glad to say that the spare capacity in critical care in the NHS today has reached a new record high of 2,657 beds.Expanding the NHS faster than the growth in demand has been a critical objective throughout this crisis. And it means that every single person who’s accessed NHS care has been able to get the very best available. At no point has the NHS been unable to offer care to people suffering from coronavirus. Now I know at the start of this crisis, some people said that would be impossible. But, so far, we’ve met this objective throughout and I want to thank all those involved for their part in this national effort.On the most recent figures, 313,769 people have now been tested for coronavirus. Of these, 98,476 people have tested positive. The number of patients in hospital with symptoms is now 19,529. 12,868 people have sadly died, an increase of 761.This all just goes to show why we cannot let up in our efforts. We cannot let go of the hard work that’s been done so far. This shared sacrifice, and I know it’s a sacrifice, is starting to work. But, we will not lift these measures until it is safe to do so. Everyone who stays at home is doing their bit, protecting the NHS and saving lives.But, while everyone else stays at home to save lives, our health and care workers go out to work to save lives. And, today, I want to focus on social care. I want to set out the next steps in our action plan for social care that we’re publishing today.From the moment of the emergence of coronavirus, we’ve known that some of the most vulnerable to this disease are in social care and we’ve been taking action right from the start.We first set out guidance back in February and today I can tell you what further steps we’re now able to make. Our goal throughout has been to protect residents and to support our 1.5 million colleagues who work in social care. We’ve injected an extra £1.6 billion and, as the Chancellor said, we will do whatever it takes.This is our plan.First and foremost, from the start, we’ve focused on the need to control the spread of infection in social care settings. Today, we’ve strengthened the rules, so that all care home residents who are discharged from hospital will be tested before being admitted into their care home. We’ll test all symptomatic care home residents. And, as I announced last Friday, we’ve introduced testing for all social care colleagues and members of their households who need a test.At the same time, we’re increasing again PPE supplies for social care. We’re creating a supply logistics and distribution network of unprecedented scale. Building on the PPE plan I set out on Friday, over the next 3 weeks we’ll continue priority drops to the Local Resilience Forums who distribute to the social care system according to local need, while we roll out our new online delivery system for social care settings. This will be integrated with the NHS supply chain central PPE logistical operations, with kit shipped directly to social care providers via the Royal Mail.All of this will contribute to slowing the spread of coronavirus within care homes.I want also to enhance support for our social care workforce. One of the things that I’m most proud of during this terrible crisis is that people have held health and social care workers in such high esteem. It’s not ‘clap for the NHS’, it’s ‘clap for our carers’. And to take this further, we’re today introducing a single brand for social care to symbolise the entire care profession. This is something I know so many people in the profession have called for.This badge will be a badge of honour in a very real sense, allowing social care staff proudly and publicly to identify themselves, just like NHS staff do with that famous blue and white logo.I know that many businesses will want to offer the same recognition and benefits as they do wonderfully to the NHS. We’ve asked the supermarkets to confirm that social care workers can have the same priority access and I know that the public value your work in care as much as I do. I also know that we need more people to return to social care or choose to serve for the first time.To make that happen, we’re strengthening our national recruitment campaign with the aim of recruiting tens of thousands more people into social care. And we will pay for the initial induction training. This is a job where you have the chance to make a difference to people’s lives every single day that you go to work.And I’ve seen, as I’m sure we’ve all seen, the amazing efforts of good social care. I’ve seen it with elderly members of my own family. I’ve seen the tenderness and the dedication with which people in social care support our loved ones at their time of greatest need.Everyone knows the job isn’t easy. Whether supporting people of working age, who are some of the most vulnerable in society, or supporting people and their families with dignity at the end of their lives. But I know what a fulfilling profession it is and I know that many will answer our call.There’s one other thing, and one other change, I want to make, which is giving people the right to say goodbye. One of the important things that care homes do is support people at the end of their life. Sadly, even in normal times, each month, about 10,000 people die in care homes. And our social care colleagues work incredibly hard to ensure support for people and dignity to people at the end of their lives.Wanting to be with someone you love at the end of their life is one of the deepest human instincts. And it’s a moment that will be with you forever. Done right, it can help those left behind to cope and it brings comfort to those who are dying. Coronavirus of course has made this much more difficult. and I’ve been really moved and upset at some of the heart-breaking stories of people dying without a loved one nearby.As a father of a 13-year-old myself, the reports of Ismail, dying aged 13 without a parent at his bedside, made me weep. And the sight of his coffin being lowered into a grave without a member of his family present was too awful. So, I’m pleased to say that, working with Public Health England, the care sector and many others, we’re introducing new procedures so we can limit the risk of infection, while, wherever possible, giving people’s loved ones the chance to say goodbye.And we’re making crystal clear that it is unacceptable for advanced care plans, including ‘do not attempt to resuscitate’ orders, to be applied in a blanket fashion to any group of people. This must always be a personalised process, as it always has been.I want to end by addressing carers directly. As much as the doctors, the nurses, the paramedics – you are on the frontline in this battle. I want to thank you for your courage and your commitment. For doing paid or unpaid, formal or informal, the work that you do, difficult, demanding, vitally necessary, and you do it with such love and care and attention.Taking on the extra shifts that might be needed to fill the gaps left by self-isolating colleagues, juggling your own caring responsibilities very often, providing dignity and comfort to people in some of the most difficult circumstances. We, as a nation, stand with you.And I say to everyone watching, you can stand with our carers too. By staying at home, to protect the NHS and protect social care, and save lives.
When the Wisconsin football team practiced Saturday for thefirst time this spring, no one was likely more excited to hit the turf thanP.J. Hill.For the Badger tailback, it was the first time he’s beenable to take part in the team’s spring drills. Last year, following hisimpressive freshman campaign in which he ran for 1,569 yards and 15 touchdowns,he was forced to sit out after undergoing shoulder surgery in February.Injuries also plagued Hill during the 2007 season, as a legbruise caused him to miss all or parts of four games. In fact, durability hasbeen the gray cloud hanging over him during his two years as a starter.Now injury free, it’s understandable why Hill was all smilesafter practice when talking to the media.?I’m just ready to roll,? he declared. ?I’m feeling muchbetter, and I’m ready to get the season started.?With just one look at Hill during practice ? which the teamran without pads and just helmets ? those in attendance would notice a slimmerP.J. Listed at 227 (significantly down from his freshman weight of 242), heclaims to be feeling as good as he ever did ? if not better.?This is the first time my body’s been feeling really good,?Hill said.For his sake, Hill had better hope he stays healthy for theentire season, something he has yet to do in three years at Wisconsin. We’vealready seen two other tailbacks ? Zach Brown and Lance Smith ? fill in duringhis absence; if Hill were to go down again with another injury, it might betougher than before to reclaim the top spot in the pecking order. Aside fromBrown and Smith itching to get their reps, there’s now another back to throwinto the mix, as freshman John Clay ? who in high school was rated as one ofthe best backs in the country ? is now eligible after redshirting in 2007.None of this seems to concern the quiet but confident Hill,who felt his performance in the Outback Bowl (132 yards on 16 carries)reasserted him as the go-to guy.?It was very important to me because it showed I still hadmy swag,? Hill said of his showing in Tampa. ?I was out there feeling good. ? Ijust played like the same old P.J.?That same old P.J. is hopefully the same one fans grewaccustomed to seeing in 2006, not the one who spent a significant part of the2007 season on the bench.I’ve got to give credit to Hill for handling the situationhow he has. It would be easy for a player in his situation to come into thespring practices, assuming he’s the top dog in the backfield. After all, whyshouldn’t he be? He’s carried the ball for over 1,000 yards in each of hisfirst two seasons and has 31 total touchdowns.But when asked if he expects the starting role, Hillacknowledged the work he has to do to stay No. 1.?You can’t just think you’ve got the spot,? he said. ?Whenthere’s competition, that shows you’re strong at what you want to do at thatposition. It kind of just makes you work harder.?The crowded backfield could have the potential to causetension among the team’s tailbacks, as each is vying for playing time. But Hillsaid this isn’t so with him and his teammates.?We all get along. We’re just like a bunch of brothers,?Hill said. ?We know at the same time we’re out there competing and on Saturday,someone’s going to be the only one left.?If Hill stays healthy, he’ll likely be the one left to fillthe starting role.But that’s a big if.?Tyler is a junior majoring in journalism. Share yourthoughts about Wisconsin’s running back situation with him at [email protected]
AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThis Starting Monday, June 12th, crews will begin reconstructing a section of 11th Avenue, between Park Street and Washington Avenue.As a result, 11th Avenue between Washington Avenue to Park Street will be closed to all traffic. Signage and barricades will be present to guide traffic around the construction site, but motorists are advised to seek alternate routes. Residents will have to park on side streets.This project also includes new water and sewer lines as well as curbs and gutters. It is expected to take nine weeks to complete, unless weather or construction delays occur. AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisContinue ReadingPrevious Right to Carry Approved By House of RepresenativesNext Alpena County Library Celebrates 50th Anniversary with a Gala
Round two started in similar fashion, with Tuivasa sending a series of powerful overhand rights.Join DAZN and watch more than 100 fight nights a yearIt took three unanswered shots to Tuivasa’s chin for dos Santos to drop the 25-year-old and some brutal ground and pound finished it. ADELAIDE, AUSTRALIA — It was a day for the Brazilian veterans against the Aussie upstarts as Junior dos Santos earned a second-round TKO over Tai Tuivasa and Mauricio Shogun Rua stopped Tyson Pedro in the third round at UFC Adelaide.In his first UFC main event, Tuivasa bought the house down with his walkout, and took the fight to the former heavyweight champion from the opening siren. Join DAZN and watch more than 100 fight nights a year”Bam Bam” had dos Santos in serious trouble in the first round, but was dropped with a right hand in the third round. Referee Herb Dean stopped the action two minutes and 30 seconds into the round.“This guy’s tough,” dos Santos said afterwards. “I knew he was tough, but not that tough. He kicked me in the leg and I’m still feeling it. My game plan is my boxing, I have knockout power and I can knock anyone out.” Mid-exchange JDS drops Tuivasa!! #UFCAdelaide pic.twitter.com/lKJmv8eoiA— UFC (@ufc) December 2, 2018 The win was the Brazilian’s second in a row, and he called for a rematch with Alistair Overeem next.After enjoying some success on the feet in the first round, Tuivasa said he couldn’t answer dos Santos’s ground and pound.“I got rocked, I was on my back, but I felt like a turtle, and couldn’t get up,” he said. “I was pressing him. I was going forward, and I got f— hit. That’s the sport. It’s only up from here.”Earlier in the day, American Justin Willis scored a unanimous decision win over Mark Hunt, and called out Tuivasa in the cage afterwards.The pair had a close run-in at the weigh-ins on Friday.After his defeat, Tuivasa responded: “Justin Willis, you little b—, I’m coming for you, boy. I’ll be back.”Tuivasa was up for it from the outset.The Western Sydney fighter looked for the kind of low leg kicks Stipe Miocic had success with in his heavyweight title defense last year, and jumped in with a couple of menacing attacks. Dos Santos was able to split out of range, but the intent was there.With 30 seconds remaining in the round, Tuivasa landed the low kick to dos Santos’s left leg that he was looking for. The Brazilian legend was immobilized and did well to make it to the end of the round.