Porter remanded for breaking into Bourda Market stall

first_imgA porter was on Monday charged and taken before the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts for breaking into a Bourda Market stall.Forty-six-year-old Dexter Burnham was taken before Magistrate Sherdel Isaacs-Marcus where he pled guilty to the charge.The charge stated that on July 7, 2019, at Bourda Market, Georgetown, he broke and entered the stall of Nandranie Sookwah and stole four bags of groceries valued at $116,000.The prosecution’s case stated that the Virtual Complainant secured her stall and went home. However, at about 02:55h on July 7, 2019, an eyewitness saw the defendant breaking into the stall and reported the incident at the Bourda Police Outpost. The constables arrested Burnham and he was taken to the Regent Street, Georgetown, outpost where he was identified.In court on Monday, Burnham said, “I pleaded guilty because Mr Bristol (a constable) told me to plead guilty, is them constable breaking the stalls and blaming we. They does bring drugs and test it on we”.The prosecutor objected on the grounds of the nature of the offence and the penalty it attracts.The court also heard that the defendant was previously convicted for 12 months for a similar charged and six months on two other simple larceny charges. Having heard the man’s explanation, the Magistrate entered a not guilty charge and remanded the defendant to prison. The case will continue on July 19, 2019.last_img read more

Confessed rapist gets 18 months in ’84 crime

first_imgCHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – A man who sexually assaulted a University of Virginia student in 1984 and apologized to her two decades later as part of the Alcoholics Anonymous program was sentenced to 18 months in prison Thursday. William Beebe, 42, pleaded guilty in November to one count of aggravated sexual battery for his attack on Liz Seccuro. Charlottesville Circuit Court Judge Edward Hogshire ordered a 10-year prison sentence with all but 18 months suspended, as long as Beebe performs 500 hours of community service related to issues of sexual assault and alcohol abuse on college campuses. Prosecutors had recommended two years. “I’m not trying to excuse my behavior, but I was a different person then,” said Beebe, of Las Vegas, Nev. “I have a purpose, and that gives life meaning. I didn’t have that then.” After the hearing, Seccuro shared a long hug with her husband. Outside court, she said she thought the sentence was “very fair.” “It’s always hard to ask a survivor what you think is enough,” she said. The case was revived in 2005 after Beebe wrote Seccuro a letter of apology in an attempt to make amends for the assault as part of AA’s recovery program. The program’s ninth step calls on alcoholics to make amends to those they have harmed – unless doing so would cause further injury. In an exchange of e-mails that ensued, Beebe wrote: “I want to make clear that I’m not intentionally minimizing the fact of having raped you. I did.” Seccuro, 40, of Greenwich, Conn., was given a drink at a party that made her feel strange, and she later passed out, leaving her memory hazy. She said she vividly recalls being attacked by Beebe, but always had a vague impression she’d been assaulted by additional members of the fraternity. Evidence later surfaced that indicated Seccuro was attacked by more than one person that night, and Beebe was offered a plea bargain.. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Heat wave, grass kindle fire alerts

first_img [email protected] (818) 713-3664160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORE11 theater productions to see in Southern California this week, Dec. 27-Jan. 2But spring temperatures have soared to record levels, prompting some concern. County firefighters from Station No. 82 were out in La Ca ada Flintridge on Monday inspecting hillside homes and reminding residents to trim and remove brush 200 feet from structures to create a fire buffer zone. Community and resident preparedness helped spare about 2,000 homes during last year’s Topanga Fire, which charred more than 20,000 acres, fire officials have said. In Burbank, where a fire charred 1,100 acres of hillside near the Castaways Restaurant in October, mustard grass already has grown to 3 feet, Burbank Fire Department Capt. Frank Walbert said. In a fire, that type of grass is usually the first to burn, supplying kindling. “We all know brush fire season is coming,” said Glendale Fire Capt. Steve Parrish. “We’ve obviously noticed the heat. When we have rain, we have growth, but we know that growth is going to burn.” Brush fire season formally kicked off Monday in Southern California, where the warmer-than-usual spring is gradually transforming lush green hillsides into tinder boxes. The California Department of Forestry declared brush fire season a few days later than last year, based on weather conditions, the dryness of the brush and fire activity. A similar announcement for local areas will be made Wednesday by the Los Angeles County Fire Department. “This current heat wave is of some concern,” said Inspector Ron Haralson, spokesman for the county Fire Department. “We’ve had a decent rainy season so we know the vegetation growth is there.” Los Angeles has received about 13 inches of rain since July 1, when the latest fiscal year for measuring rainfall began. last_img read more