Four women and their nursing infants have become the poster children for a northern Ontario community’s campaign to reduce the stigma around breastfeeding in public.The Porcupine Health Unit in Timmins, Ont., launched a campaign this week that will have life-size metal cut-outs of the local women nursing their children displayed around the city.The initiative is to remind people that breastfeeding is healthy and natural, and that women shouldn’t be discouraged from nursing in public spaces, health unit nurse Meagan Potvin said.“I think there is some misinformation about nursing in general,” Potvin said. “(Some) have that belief that if a mother is nursing her baby, then we see it all, and that really is not the case. If a mother is comfortable and nursing, she is fully protected by law.”About 80 per cent of women in the Timmins area start breastfeeding after giving birth, Potvin said, but that number starts to decline after a few months partly because of fear of being asked to cover up.“This campaign wasn’t necessarily just to push the idea of breastfeeding, but to make sure all mothers feel supported and that they have the information to make the best decision for their families when it comes to feeding their infant — whether that be breast milk, formula or both,” she said.As part of the campaign, the cut-outs are being placed in front of public places such as restaurants, retailers and government buildings.Potvin said the campaign so far has received plenty of local support, with businesses signing up to display the cut-outs and promote themselves as breastfeeding-friendly spaces.Nancy Lebrun, who works at Jorie’s Fine Clothing, said the downtown shop has always allowed mothers to breastfeed inside, so it was fitting that it take part in the campaign.She said the business will get its cut-out later this month, but so far there has only been positive reaction from people in the community.“Nobody was really fazed by it,” Lebrun said. “It was something that was accepted, and ‘maybe it’s about time’ is the response that a lot of people had.”Kate Durst, one of the four women lending her image to the campaign, said she has also mostly received positive feedback.But the 42-year-old mother of two added there were some comments online that criticized her about breastfeeding her two-year-old son.“I try not to let opinions sway my decision on a personal level,” said Durst, who owns a gym in the city. “I have to respect them, I just don’t share the same opinions.”Durst said she was selected for the campaign because of her decision to breastfeed her son until the age of three. She also said health officials wanted women who represented different demographics, so a young mother and indigenous women were also chosen.Durst said the campaign marked her first professional photoshoot, even though she had plenty of opportunities in the past as an amateur body builder.“I think that this has so much more meaning to me,” she said. “Feeding my child is something I do every day.”The Porcupine Health Unit said the cut-outs will stay in Timmins for the summer, but the plan is to eventually move them to smaller towns in the region.Note to readers: This is a corrected story. A previous version incorrectly said the cut-outs are made of cardboard.
The Chicago Blackhawks are up 1-0 in the Western Conference finals going into Game 2 against the Los Angeles Kings Wednesday night, thanks in part to the outstanding performance of their goaltender, Corey Crawford.The notion that the NHL playoffs are about which goalie catches fire at the right time has been repeated to the point of cliché. But that doesn’t make it untrue. As I wrote at the beginning of this year’s playoffs, save percentage is more important than shots per game, shooting percentage or shots allowed. Strong play in net may be highly unpredictable in the sense that we don’t really know which goalie is going to rattle off a dominant run, but it’s also hugely important for a team seeking to hoist the Stanley Cup.We can measure how “hot” an NHL goalie has been in the playoffs by comparing his postseason performance (measured by save percentage) to what we would have expected from his previous statistics and the strength of the teams he’s faced. To approximate a goalie’s current talent level, I modified baseball’s Marcel projection system to predict hockey goaltending save percentages. I used a weighted average of the goalie’s previous three regular seasons, with a little regression to the mean incorporated as well. Then, using Hockey-Reference.com data on playoff games going back to 1988, I plugged the goalie’s talent level and the regular-season shooting percentages of the teams he faced during the playoffs into a formula attempting to predict how well he would play in a given playoff game.The difference between this expected performance and the goalie’s actual performance is “hotness” quantified, and we can even convert that number into a goals saved above replacement (GAR) figure using the league average save percentage within a given postseason.This year, a couple of goaltenders have emerged as the clear-cut top candidates for the title of “hottest of the playoffs.”The Blackhawks’ Crawford has delivered about 8.6 more GAR than expected. He’s posted a .933 save percentage; we would have predicted a mark of .912. His save percentage was only a little bit better than average during the regular season, and while his current foes, the Los Angeles Kings, shot poorly during the regular season, Chicago’s prior playoff adversaries, the Minnesota Wild and the St. Louis Blues, were both above-average shooting teams.Also vying for the title is the New York Rangers’ Henrik Lundqvist, who has produced 8.4 more GAR than expected during these playoffs. Lundqvist’s previous record suggested he’d be very good in the postseason, but he’s gone up against a tough slate of accurately shooting teams. The Montreal Canadiens and Philadelphia Flyers both shot the puck well in the regular season, and the Pittsburgh Penguins were the fifth-best shooting team in the NHL. Against all of them, Lundqvist has a .934 save percentage, compared to an expected .915.The goaltenders for the other two of hockey’s final four teams haven’t been quite as hot. Carey Price of the Montreal Canadiens has contributed only 2.3 more GAR than expected, putting up a .919 save percentage against an expectation of .913. And he’s out for the remainder of Montreal’s series against the Rangers with an injury. Price’s backups, Dustin Tokarski and Peter Budaj, have collectively put up 5.1 fewer GAR than expected, thanks to a combined save percentage (.836) about 84 percentage points lower than we would have predicted. In the Western Conference, Kings goalie Jonathan Quick has essentially played right to expectation with a .912 save percentage. That’s been good enough for the Kings to get the job done (if barely), but it won’t win him any hot goaltending awards.It bears repeating, though, that all of this is retrospective. Crawford and Lundqvist have been outstanding so far, but there’s a fickle corollary to the hot goalie theory: Today’s hot goalie isn’t guaranteed to be a success tomorrow.
Alex Rodriguez has been in a worldwind, and not a good one. He’s been benched by New York Yankees manager Joe Giradi, which is bad enough. Now comes word that he tried to pick up a woman during Game 1 of the series against the Detroit Tigers and that he could be trade fodder for the Miami Marlins. And you thought you had a bad week.New broke via The New York Post late Wednesday that Rodriguez, who had been removed from the game for a pinch hitter in Game 1 of the ALCS, had written a note on the ball in search of a woman’s phone number and had a ball boy deliver it to the fan. The newspaper identified the women as Kyna Treacy, an Australian bikini model, who was with her friend Kate Quinn.“It’s true,” the team source was quoted by the newspaper. “It was witnessed in the dugout. The whole thing is true.” When asked about the Post report Tuesday, Rodriguez told ESPNNewYork.com’s Wallace Matthews, “Don’t believe any of that (expletive).”Meanwhile, it is somewhat ironic that a joke between Yankees’ president Randy Levine and Miami Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria evolved into the serious discussions about the slumping third baseman being traded to the Marlins.Levine and Loria discussed the possibility of A-Rod playing in Miami, his hometown, according to ESPN, but characterized it as a joke between old friends.According to the source, Loria said, “Alex is Mr. Miami, it would be great if he played here for us.”To which Levine is said to have replied, “You can have him.”A second source with knowledge of Rodriguez’ thinking said the likely only place Rodriguez eventually would accept a trade to is Miami. Rodriguez has five years and $114 million remaining on his contract, not including milestone home run bonuses. He also has veto power over any trade.The conversation between the Yankees and Marlins initially was reported by Keith Olbermann on his MLB.com “Nerd Blog.” Variety also reported the news.Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said he has had no trade talks regarding Rodriguez with anyone and described the first report as “false.”Levine refused to comment on the conversation with Loria, and when asked if he would look to shop Rodriguez in the offseason, he said, “That’s something we would need to discuss.”Appearing Sunday on Ian O’Connor’s show on ESPN New York 98.7 FM, Levine told O’Connor the following regarding A-Rod’s future as a Yankee:“That’s like one of those questions: Where’s the stock market going to be in 2017? Who’s going to be president on Nov. 15?” he said. “If I had a crystal ball to predict all of that stuff, I’d be a lot smarter than I am. I’m not going to go there.”Rodriguez has been marginalized in the Yankees’ lineup this postseason. He is 3 for 23, including 0 for 18 with 12 strikeouts against right-handers, and repeatedly has been benched and pinch hit for in the playoffs. Rodriguez was benched for the third time this postseason in Game 4 of the ALCS on Wednesday night.“For all our fan base: Let’s root for Alex, the contract is what it is, and he’s there, and we hope he gets hot,” Levine told O’Connor. “It’s part of what we deal with all the time, just like any other contract.”
Bahamas Govt warned not to extend Nassau Grouper season Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppTurks and Caicos, February 6, 2017 – The Department of Environment & Coastal Resources (DECR) would like to remind all fishing interests, restaurants and general public that Tuesday, February 28th will be the final day of the closed season for Nassau Grouper for 2017.Fishers are reminded of Regulation 14 of the Fisheries Protection Regulations, as amended, that states that:Any person who takes or is in possession of, or sells, any marine product smaller than the legal size commits an offence.For the purpose of this regulation the legal size means, in relation to –(ca) Nassau Grouper –(i) A minimum length of 21 inches; and(ii) A maximum length of 35 inchesThe DECR appeals to citizens, residents and visitors in the Turks & Caicos Islands, to familiarise themselves with and to uphold the Fisheries Regulations, and urges all responsible citizens to call DECR at 338 4170 or [email protected] to report any violations.#MagneticMediaNews #NassauGrouper Related Items:#magneticmedianews, #NassauGrouper Recommended for you Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp
Kolkata: India is on the right track of growing steel, the likes of which hasn’t been seen before, says Sushim Banerjee, Director General, Institute for Steel Development & Growth (INSDAG).Banerjee was speaking at the ‘Metals Conclave 2018-Steel Intensive Growth: Pathway for India’, organised by the Bengal Chamber of Commerce and Industry (BCC&I) in a city hotel on Wednesday.”According to world steel figures, India is the only country, exhibiting a growth nearing 8 percent. It is one of the few countries trying to come up from the lower-income group to mid-income group. Hence, there is a demand for steel consumption that requires a lot in terms of development on the part of steel producers,” Banerjee said. Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal lifeIndia stands at third position in steel production and the sector has contributed much owing to the availability of raw materials like iron ore and of course cheap labour. India stands 4th largest in the world with regards to iron ore production and third largest in coal production.In 2016, the world crude steel production reached 1,630 million tonne (mt) and showed a growth of 0.6 percent over 2015.The Government’s rapid progress in road and infrastructure projects has increased the demands for steel. Consumption of steel is expected to grow by 5.7 percent year on year to 92.1 MT by 2018, experts said. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Mercedes car in Kolkata, 2 pedestrians killedAloke Mukherjea, former President, BCC&I said: “Steel plays a pivotal role in traditional fields like construction, housing and ground transportation. Special steels are finding increasing usage in engineering sectors like fertilizers, petrochemicals and power generation.” Gulshan Ratan, AGM, Design, Garden Reach Shipbuilding & Engineers Limited (GRSE), stated that steel is used in warships, naval ships and exporting Bailey bridges in neighboring countries like Bhutan and Bangladesh.
Julia Angwin, the editor-in-chief and co-founder of the Markup, a still-in-development investigative news publication that was slated to launch in July, has been fired over differences with Sue Gardner, the CEO. The news of Angwin’s ouster, first reported by The New York Times, prompted five of the website’s seven editorial members to announce their resignations. Angwin’s dismissal also drew major public support from the public. Another of its founders, Jeff Larson has been announced as the current editor-in-chief of The Markup. Julia Angwin, an ex-ProPublica veteran had been working alongside Jeff Larson on the Markup for the last year with the vision of producing meaningful data-centered journalism about the impact of technology on society. The Markup raised more than $23 million in funding last year led by Craigslist founder Craig Newmark. After the news of her oust, Angwin wrote a letter addressed to Newmark, seeking him to review and intervene in the situation unfolding at The Markup. The letter was posted on Twitter from an account named “The Real Team Markup” on Tuesday. Per her letter, Executive Director, Sue Gardner is now seeking to change the mission of the newsroom to “one based on advocacy against the tech companies”. During her interview with candidates Gardner used to ask for their “take” on tech companies, and then reportedly rate them based on their hatred toward these companies. Angwin adds, “She has asked me to run articles with headlines such as ‘Facebook is a dumpster fire’”. On retaliating, Angwin was asked to step down from her position as editor-in-chief on March 29 and become a columnist, writing opinion articles. Update: The article has now been updated to include Craig Newmark’s response. The story has also been updated on 27th April to include Sue Gardner’s response. Gardner disputed this characterization to the New York Times. “There is no change in the mission or purpose of The Markup. We are, pure and simple, a news outlet. We always have been and always will be. Our goals and purpose haven’t changed.” she told NYT. The site had issues with Ms. Angwin involving “leadership, management and willingness to accept feedback and training to grow as an editor-in-chief.” Interestingly, it was Angwin who hired Gardner last year after she forced Angwin to let her become the CEO. Angwin was reluctant but was assured that she would be given an employment contract with job protections for her position as Editor-in-chief but no such contract was signed. Now some people are touting Angwin’s expulsion as a “power grab”. In disapproval of Angwin’s dismissal, multiple staff members of the Markup have also resigned from their positions. 5 out of 7 editorial team members tweeted about their departure, with Angwin tweeting in response that they “can’t afford to do this. This is heartbreaking.” The Markup is now down to 2 editorial employees. Its response: “Mr. Larson said the company had accelerated recruitment and had ‘multiple other hires in motion,’ and hoped that the launch would not be delayed.” The editorial team of Markup has also signed a statement of unequivocal support for Julia Angwin. Other people have also come forward in solidarity with Angwin. A blog post on Medium opposes her recent ouster as Editor-in-Chief of the Markup and invites people to sign a public statement of support for Julia Angwin. The blog post has been signed by over 100 people and counting, states, “The Markup is set to launch in July and should not do so without Julia at the helm. We encourage all her original funders to investigate this situation and to take steps to ensure that the Markup stays true to its founding principles.” Journalists and reporters from top publishing sites have also tweeted in support. Update: Craig Newmark responded yesterday via a tweet saying that “he is taking this very seriously” Craig and Ford Foundation, MacArthur Foundation, Knight Foundation, Open Society Foundation and the Ethics and Governance of AI Initiative will reassess The Markup’s funding. Update: Sue Gardner has also added her response dismissing all of Jula Angwin’s claims regarding her oust. Read Next Google’s Chief Diversity Officer, Danielle Brown resigns to join HR tech firm Gusto Richard DeVaul, Alphabet executive, resigns after being accused of sexual harassment Facebook hires a new general counsel and a new VP of global communications even with no Chief Security Officer.