MacLOCHLAINN ANGER AT RTE OVER ‘HOMOPHOBIA’ BROADCAST

first_imgDeputy Padraig MacLochlainnDONEGAL TD Padraig Mac Lochlainn has called on RTE to issue a full statement on its libel settlement following comments about alleged homophobia.A protest against homophobia took place in Dublin this afternoon following controversy over comments made by the gay rights activist Rory O’Neill on RTÉ’s ‘Saturday Night Show’ last month.The State broadcaster is reported to have paid out some €85,000 in compensation in its defamation settlement over the comments made by Mr O’Neill, who performs as drag queen Panti. Journalist John Waters told the Sunday Business Post he will receive €40,000 while a further sum is to be paid to five members of the Catholic lobby group, The Iona Institute.The settlement was made following legal correspondence from the parties named in the January 11 interview with Brendan O’Connor, during which O’Neill discussed homophobia and same-sex marriage. It is understood that RTÉ bosses felt the broadcast would have been almost impossible to defend in any potential defamation action and moved quickly to settle the complaint.The Saturday Night Show last week broadcast an apology to those alleged to have been defamed in the original interview, and last night featured a debate on homophobia.RTÉ is understood to have received over 1,000 complaints from members of the public in relation to the broadcast. The vast majority are believed to express concern at the apology issued by the station. Sinn Féin Justice and Equality Spokesperson Pádraig Mac Lochlainn TD today called on RTÉ to issue a public statement clarifying the broadcaster’s actions following the recent Saturday Night Show.The Donegal North East TD said: “This week the Justice and Equality Minister published the General Scheme of a Children and Family Relationships Bill. This is an important piece of legislation that recognises the diversity of families in Ireland and puts the rights of children and their parents centre stage.“The government has promised a referendum on marriage equality in 2015 following a recommendation by a majority of the Constitutional Convention to amend the constitution to allow same sex marriage.“Recent actions by RTÉ regarding its Saturday Night Show have been deeply disappointing and the public service broadcaster’s decision to pay out a considerable cash settlement without a challenge is worrying.“Those who publicly advocate inequality cannot hide behind defamation legislation when they are called out on the views they seek to gain popular support for. The demand of significant sums of public monies by such individuals or groups in place of a right to reply sets a deeply worrying precedent. “Timidity in broadcasting serves no-one and as a public service broadcaster RTÉ must place itself beyond reproach.“Public monies make up the lion’s share of RTÉ’s annual revenue therefore the public have a right to know how this money is being spent. RTÉ management must now make a public statement clarifying their actions following the recent Saturday Night Show.“It is my strong view that inequality wherever and however it expresses itself must be robustly challenged.”MacLOCHLAINN ANGER AT RTE OVER ‘HOMOPHOBIA’ BROADCAST was last modified: February 2nd, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Deputy Padraig MacLochlainnhomophobialast_img read more

Del Norte sweeps Arcata in crucial Big 5 game

first_imgCRESCENT CITY >> Kaleya Sanchez recorded a double-double with 10 kills and 10 digs, as the Del Norte Warriors took sole possession of first place in the Big 5 with a 25-13, 25-19, 25-16 victory over the Arcata Tigers in Crescent City, Thursday evening.The tone was set for the evening during warm-ups, as a lackadaisical home team was given a stern message prior to the first ball of the opening set being served.“We had a terrible warm-up, and I told the team they’d better figure out what was …last_img

Chinese firms urged to invest in SA

first_img29 October 2013Deputy President Kgalema Motlanthe, in his opening address at the 5th South Africa-China Bi-National Commission in Beijing on Monday, called for greater participation by Chinese companies in renewable energy, mining, banking, manufacturing and rail infrastructure in South Africa.This, he said, would help to stimulate the South African economy through local procurement of inputs, technology transfers and skills development.Motlanthe, who is co-chairing the two-day meeting along with Chinese Vice-President Li Yuanchao, said the results of the strategic partnership between the two countries “speak for themselves, as China has become South Africa’s single largest trading partner in the world, and South Africa, China’s largest trading partner in Africa”.Motlanthe told the delegates that South Africa’s destiny was inextricably linked with that of the African continent.“As such, we look forward to more partnerships between South African and Chinese state-owned enterprises. Such partnership will contribute towards regional development and integration, as espoused by the African Union and its constituent regional economic communities.”During Monday’s meeting, the two countries signed agreements to cooperate in the areas of human resources development and tourism.Motlanthe’s delegation in Beijing includes Public Service and Administration Minister Lindiwe Sisulu, Tourism Minister Marthinus van Schalkwyk, Mineral Resources Minister Susan Shabangu, Deputy International Relations Minister Ebrahim Ebrahim, Deputy Energy Minister Barbara Thomson, Deputy Trade and Industry Minister Thandi Tobias-Pokolo, and Deputy Public Enterprises Minister Bulelani Mangwanishe.SAinfo reporterlast_img read more

Video: Laquon Treadwell, Denzel Nkemdiche Both Back Sprinting After Broken Ankles

first_imgLaquon Treadwell, Denzel Nkemdiche working out after injuries.If the Ole Miss Rebels are going to return to form in 2015, they’re going to need all of their star players to get healthy by September. Luckily, it looks like both wide receiver Laquon Treadwell and linebacker Denzel Nkemdiche are ahead of schedule in recovering from broken ankle injuries this past season. Treadwell posted a video of the duo doing sprints this past weekend. They both look to be moving pretty well, all things considered.Ole Miss made some serious noise in the SEC West this year before injuries eventually derailed their dreams of a historic season. Perhaps they’ll be a force to reckon with again in 2015.last_img

Compensation Committee Gets Extension

first_img The mandate of the Compensation Committee is to investigate and determine claims for compensation, loss and damage to properties and to determine the compensation payable to injured persons and to the personal representatives of deceased persons in respect to the events of May 2010. Story Highlights Senator Ruel Reid said the additional time is necessary, given the volume of work to be completed. The West Kingston Incursion Victim Compensation Committee has been given a one-month extension to complete its work. The West Kingston Incursion Victim Compensation Committee has been given a one-month extension to complete its work.Making the disclosure at yesterday’s (September 13) post-Cabinet press briefing at Jamaica House, Minister of Education, Youth and Information, Senator the Hon. Ruel Reid, said Cabinet has approved payment of a balance of $23.9 million to the Chairman and Commissioners of the Committee.Senator Reid said the additional time is necessary, given the volume of work to be completed.The Committee, which is Chaired by Hon. Justice Seymour Panton, is looking into issues of compensation for the estate of persons who were killed, detained or suffered loss and damage to property during the May 2010 West Kingston upheaval.The establishment of the Committee was one of the recommendations of the Commission of Enquiry Report.The mandate of the Compensation Committee is to investigate and determine claims for compensation, loss and damage to properties and to determine the compensation payable to injured persons and to the personal representatives of deceased persons in respect to the events of May 2010.Other members of the committee are Ministers of Religion, the Reverends Rennard White and Herro Blair Jr. Carlene Larmond, an attorney experienced in litigation, serves as Legal Advisor to the Committee.last_img read more

Tim Morgan Brightens Mornings on Boom 997

first_imgAdvertisement Following an extensive, cross-country search, Boom 99.7 is proud to announce it is bringing a new morning show to Ottawa with host Tim Morgan, beginning Monday, July 25. He will join Ottawa’s own Heather Ray, who will continue to keep listeners informed and entertained throughout the morning commute.Morgan joins Boom from our sister station, Q107 in Calgary, where he has worked for the past nine years as the Program Director, Music Director and most recently, host of the Afternoon Drive.  His quick wit, love of 70s, 80s and 90s music and stellar on-air energy make Morgan the perfect fit for our fun-loving audience.Morgan is replacing Gonzo, a fill-in anchor who has been hosting the morning show since mid January. Gonzo will take on a new role as Boom’s Afternoon Drive Host. He has been a key team member, regularly hosting weekends and filling-in on the morning show. Gonzo brings a wealth of experience and knowledge of the format and his audience to the new role. LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Advertisement Advertisement Twitter “We’re thrilled to have Tim Morgan heading up our new morning show and Gonzo joining the team in a full-time capacity,” said Stephanie Hunter, Program Director, Boom 99.7. “Boom is about great music and engaging Ottawa listeners. Our new hosts are the ideal choice for our morning and afternoon drive shows.”Boom 99.7 is a Corus Entertainment Network.About Corus Entertainment Inc.Corus Entertainment Inc. (TSX: CJR.B) is a leading media and content company that creates and delivers high quality brands and content across platforms for audiences around the world. The company’s portfolio of multimedia offerings encompasses 45 specialty television services, 39 radio stations, 15 conventional television stations, a global content business, digital assets, live events, children’s book publishing, animation software, technology and media services. Corus’ roster of premium brands includes Global Television, W Network, OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network Canada, HGTV Canada, Food Network Canada, HISTORY®, Showcase, National Geographic Channel, Q107, CKNW, Fresh Radio, Disney Channel Canada, YTV and Nickelodeon Canada. Visit Corus at www.corusent.com. Facebook Login/Register With:last_img read more

Armani Reeves effort becoming the standard for Ohio State football defensive backs

Then-sophomore cornerback Armani Reeves prepares for a play during a game against Florida A&M Sept. 21 at Ohio Stadium. OSU won, 76-0.Credit: Kaily Cunningham / Multimedia editorIt was Bradley Roby and Doran Grant.Heading into last football season, the cornerback position at Ohio State had been decided — there were no ifs, ands or buts about it. Then-redshirt-junior Roby had earned his spot the season before and then-junior Grant was tapped to replace Travis Howard in the lineup.But on July 21, a wrench was thrown into that plan. With Roby facing charges of misdemeanor battery in Monroe County, Ind., someone had to step up and take his place in the starting lineup as he served his one-game suspension from coach Urban Meyer.That player was Armani Reeves. The then-sophomore cornerback made his first career start against Buffalo Aug. 31 in a 40-20 win.Although Reeves didn’t see much of the field for much of the remainder of the season — he was forced to watch from the bench behind Roby in the depth chart — he heads into the 2014 season, alongside Grant, as one of the two expected starters at corner.“I feel ready,” Reeves said Thursday. “I feel confident. I think that’s half the battle when you’re corner, just know that you can do the jobs … I’m going to play with confidence and I know I can do this job, so I’m not worried at all.”Starting three games last season — against Buffalo, San Diego State Sept. 7 and Clemson in the 2014 Discover Orange Bowl Jan. 3 — Reeves recorded 16 solo tackles last season and had an interception.Reeves returns to a unit that lost Roby as well as safeties Christian Bryant and C.J. Barnett, a unit that finished the year ranked 112th in the country in pass defense.But Reeves said he feels he has fit into the starting line well, and knows his teammates have confidence in him to replace Roby.“I feel like they see a good side of me. I try to be a nice person so that helps,” Reeves said. “We’re all working really hard, and when you have confidence in each other that just makes a defense that much better … When I have confidence in the D-line and they have confidence in me, that makes it so much easier to do your job.”Reeves added that poor numbers from last season will serve as a drive to improve for the Buckeyes in the upcoming season.“I wouldn’t say it hurts, I would say it motivates us,” Reeves said. “Obviously everybody knows the pass defense last year, it had its ups and downs. This year we’ve got a fresh start and we’re going to come out hungry. Only thing that can do is to motivate you to play better than you did last year.”Cornerbacks coach Kerry Coombs said Reeves will be successful because he works harder than anybody else on the field, going as far as to say Reeves “became the standard.”“Anybody that’s watched him play … You never have a question about how hard he’s going to go,” Coombs said. “So he’s already got that, and what a great thing for him. Right? So when I walk into my meeting room and I say, ‘OK, who’s the hardest playing guy in this room?’ Day one, that’s what I asked my guys in my unit, and they all said ‘Armani.’”Like many of the other players, Reeves is having to make the transition from a member of the younger group to a seasoned veteran who has more responsibility on his shoulders this year.In years past, Reeves said Roby was the person he always looked to, but now he has to teach some of the lessons the NFL-bound cornerback taught him.“It’s definitely weird because I looked up to him (Roby), he’s like my older brother … It’s kind of weird not having him here anymore, but I take the things that he taught me and put it to the younger guys and do the same thing that he did (for) me,” Reeves said. “There (were) times where we’ll be out here, just talking football, just trying to get me better and that’s what I try to do with the young guys … He’s one of the greatest DBs we’ve ever had here, and obviously I want the young guys and myself to be one of the greatest when we leave.”Grant, who started all 14 games last season, said Reeves is prepared to take that next step and be a go-to starter for the Buckeyes.“I feel like he’s ready. He’s been playing well this spring,” Grant said Thursday. “He’s been working hard in the offseason, training, taking coaching. He’s leading also, his voice is up, passing the energy … And he has the experience also.”Even though Reeves is likely to be the starter opposite Grant, there is no guarantee he will see as much of the field as starters have in the past.With young players like redshirt-freshmen Eli Apple and Gareon Conley, as well as incoming freshmen Damon Webb and Marshon Lattimore, Coombs said he plans on playing more than just two corners.“We’re going to play more than two, Gareon is right in the mix, Eli Apple has had a very good spring,” Coombs said Thursday. “He’s over some health issues that really had gone undetected. So I’m really excited about that and I’m eager. And I tell you what, those two freshmen coming in are going to have a chance to play. We’re going to play more than two corners that’s for sure.”Although Reeves will likely be on the field when the season starts Aug. 30 against Navy at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore, he isn’t likely to be truly tested in that game. The Midshipmen were one of only two teams in the country who averaged less than 100 yards per game through the air last season, finishing 124th in the country.But Reeves said when it comes to next season, as long as the effort is there, the defense will be up to standards.“We’ll get there,” Reeves said. “It’s a process. We just put a lot of new things in and we’ll get there. I’m not worried about it at all. As long as we play hard right now, that’s all we can ask for.”Kickoff for the season opener is set for noon. read more

Sandals Foundation to give 30days of donations to Bahamas

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Recommended for you Related Items:bahamas, donation, hurricane joaquin, restoration, sandals foundation Hurricane Jose Not A Threat to The Bahamas, For Now Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 19 Oct 2015 – As restoration continues in The Bahamas, there was a major announcement on Saturday night at the World Travel Awards in Great Exuma on behalf of Sandals Resorts CEO, Adam Stewart. It was shared that the Sandals Foundation would for the next 30 days take all of its incoming hurricane donation funds and give them to The Bahamas to assist in the restoration of the affected islands and cays. Hurricane Joaquin served a devastating blow to the country and Bahamas Prime Minister, Perry Christie has announced that it will take $60 million dollars to resuscitate islands including Acklins, Long Cay, Crooked Island, Mayaguana, Long Island, Rum Cay and Ragged Island. That figure has been met with some backlash in the public. Nonetheless, Tourism Minister, Obie Wilchcombe on Saturday evening at the World Travel Awards thanked Sandals for its commitment to help rebuild. Bahamian music legend gunned down at home in Turks and Caicos Bi-lateral talks with Bahamas to resume, UK gives green light to high-level TCI delegationlast_img read more

Hughes – We cant wait for Fulham game

first_imgSouthampton manager Mark Hughes believes his side should have defeated Watford and now they can’t wait to face Fulham after the international break.Southampton were one goal ahead against Watford on Saturday when Charlie Austin’s goal was wrongly ruled out for offside and the visitors equalized late on in the 82nd minute.Hughes feels his side were denied three points, and that feeling will only serve to motivate them after the international break.“We’ll have about ten guys left behind and it’s a good opportunity to get some good work into them,” Hughes told Southampton website.What to expect from Watford V Arsenal? Taimoor Khan – September 8, 2019 Arsenal are set to take on Watford this weekend and the game is definitely going to be quite a peculiar contest between two sides…“Hopefully, everybody who is away will come back fit and well.“I sense that we can’t wait for the Fulham game because it’s a game that we’ve always targeted because it’s a good opportunity for us to get maximum points and that doesn’t change.“Given the events of Saturday, I think we’ll be even more determined.”last_img read more