“Take no photos or you will die here”

first_img ChinaAsia – Pacific July 19, 2013 – Updated on January 20, 2016 “Take no photos or you will die here” April 27, 2021 Find out more Help by sharing this information China: Political commentator sentenced to eight months in prison Reporters Without Borders is appalled by recent threats and violence against journalists. Li Haitao (李海涛) and Lei Kai (李海涛), two reporters with business news TV station Hunan Jingshi, were threatened and then attacked by police in Linwu district, in the south-central province of Hunan, on 16 July.The same day, journalists with Nanguo Dushi Bao and Hainan TV were roughed up and their equipment was damaged by the employees of a company in the far-south province of Hainan when they tried to investigate a case of alleged fraud.“The fact that some of these recent acts of violence against journalists were by police officers, who are supposed to enforce law and order, is an additional source of concern,” Reporters Without Borders said. “The local authorities, who have a duty to protect the right to report news and information, must arrest those responsible and bring them to justice.”The incident in Hunan province occurred at around 11 pm. The two Hunan Jingshi reporters suddenly found themselves surrounded by five or six policemen when they went to cover a protests prompted by the death of a peasant who had been beaten by members of a local government agency (chennguan). According to Beijing News, the policemen shouted: “Take no photos, or if you take any, you will die here.” Then they beat the journalists with their batons, inflicting a serious leg injury on Li Haitao. Their car and their mobile phones were damaged and one of their phones was seized by the police. Earlier the same day in Hainan province, the Nanguo Dushi Bao and Hainan TV reporters were forcibly expelled from the headquarters of Yunzhi Information Technology, a privately-owned company, when they tried unsuccessfully to interview representatives about a swindle allegedly involving the company.One of Yunzhi’s managers snatched the Hainan TV reporter’s camera, pushed him to the ground and punched him. Nanguo Dushi Bao reported that when one of its reporters tried to leave hiw office to call the police, an employee forcibly prevented him.China is ranked 173rd out of 179 countries in the 2013 Reporters Without Borders press freedom index. Receive email alerts Photo : AFP News June 2, 2021 Find out more ChinaAsia – Pacific to go further News China’s Cyber ​​Censorship Figures RSF_en Follow the news on China Democracies need “reciprocity mechanism” to combat propaganda by authoritarian regimes News News Organisation March 12, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Chelsea consider Twickenham move

first_img The RFU has confirmed it has been sounded out about the prospect of the Premier League club using the 82,000-capacity home of English rugby if Stamford Bridge is redeveloped. Chelsea announced in June that they are looking at possible expansion plans for their stadium, although dates for any work have not been specified. It had previously been mooted that the club could seek out a permanent new home, however suitable London sites are in short supply. Chelsea have taken the first step towards a possible temporary move to Twickenham after making an approach to the Rugby Football Union. The Scottish Rugby Union has allowed Murrayfield to be used for club football, with Celtic playing European games at the Edinburgh stadium earlier this year while Celtic Park and Hampden were tied up during the Commonwealth Games. Twickenham has previously refused football teams permission to move in for short periods, with the then RFU chief executive Francis Baron saying in 2001, when Fulham were seeking a temporary home, that “we are not interested”, citing difficulties with segregation of supporters along with traffic and policing issues. The RFU said in a statement: “We are regularly contacted by a variety of organisations, within and outside sport, on a wide range of opportunities concerning use of what we believe is a world-class stadium. We have had an enquiry from Chelsea FC but have not had any discussions of any substance. “While we don’t comment on any specific confidential conversations, each request is taken on its merit, assessing a variety of factors, such as the effect on the pitch, availability, transport and local considerations and other important implications.” It is understood the RFU considers the enquiry to be a long way short of indicating that Chelsea have chosen Twickenham as the stadium they specifically would want to move to, should redevelopment work at Stamford Bridge necessitate a ground move. There are thought to be other stadiums under consideration by the club owned by Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich. Tottenham have recently been linked with a move to play a number of games at Wembley in the 2017/18 season while their new home is built. A Chelsea spokesman said: “We’re investigating different scenarios as part of the consultation process we started earlier this year, but have had no discussions of substance so far.” center_img Press Associationlast_img read more