Publishers Consumers Rush to the iPad

Even digital magazine vendor Zinio released a statement over the weekend announcing the Zinio App in the App Store. The free app makes the titles in Zinio’s digital newsstand available on the iPad, and allows users to navigate “within each magazine page between text, interactive graphics, animated illustrations, videos” and more.The enthusiasm surrounding the iPad was ripe with consumers, too. Apple said today that as of midnight Saturday, it sold more than 300,000 iPads in the U.S., including deliveries of pre-orders and sales at retail stores. iPad users subsequently downloaded more than 250,000 e-books from its iBookstore during the first 24 hours.It’s obviously still too early to say whether the iPad will be the magazine/media savior it has been (over) hyped to be. As Jeff Jarvis recently pointed out via Twitter, consumers might be less inclined to pay $5 for a magazine’s iPad app if they can access much of the same content for free online or via its free iPhone app which, in turn, is accessible on the iPad. And the question remains: Even if consumers buy up magazine apps in droves, will sales translate to meaningful revenues for publishers? With little surprise, the Apple iPad bandwagon is growing exponentially. Late last week, hours before the product officially was released Saturday, media companies rushed to market with announcements proclaiming that their content would be available on the new tablet device. Among them were Bonnier’s Popular Science, Rodale’s Men’s Health, Time Inc.’s Time, as well as titles from Hearst and Conde Nast. Some apps are paid (Men’s Health for $4.99, and Time for $4.95) while others (WSJ, USA Today, etc.) are free.Today, F+W Media joined the expanding media community on the iPad. F+W says it has signed an agreement to become an e-book provider to the Apple iBookstore, the iPad’s retail application. So far, it has uploaded select titles from its top 50 best-selling e-books, and will add to it over the coming weeks. F+W, which publishes 35 magazines, on average produces 600 new books annually and has a backlist of approximately 3,500 books (it sold 10.2 million books last year).“No matter how the landscape changes, we at F+W will remain media-agnostic and delivery-agnostic,” CEO David Nussbaum said in a recent FOLIO: blog post. “Our evergreen content is equally suited to p-books and e-books. We will continue to offer our content however, wherever, our customers and communities demand.” read more

Flood sweeps away village after village

first_imgMost of the mud houses in Birol upazila are damaged by the continuous rain. Repair work going on on Thursday. Photo: Prothom AloVillage after village in Birola upazila have been destroyed in floodwaters.According to the upazila administration, Mongolpur and Dhamir union were partially affected while the 10 other unions have been seriously damaged.A total of 31,750 houses have been totally destroyed while 12,800 have been partially damaged.About 22,210 hectares of crop have been destroyed in the flood, while 109 kilometres of roads have been totally wrecked. Fifty eight kilometres of roads have been partially damaged as well.There are 12 unions in the upazila and one municipality. Around 257,000 people live in this upazila and mud houses are symbolic of this upazila. The Punarvaba river flows right by it.Tulai, a tributary of Punarvaba, flows through Mangalpur union. Via Birol sadar and Vandara union, it enters India.Following the continuous rain of the last couple of days, two rivers overflowed and damaged the Punarvaba protection embankment at Bangaon and Rajarampur.Most of the houses and roads got damaged. Village after village were destroyed.Pargana Pradip Mumu of Palashbaris Adibasipara said 50 of the 60 houses in their village have been damaged and villagers have taken shelter in nearby churches or on the banks of the river.Rebecca Charai said, We used to work as domestic help. But how shall we survive now?Everything is washed away by the floodwaters. What will happen to us? Nobody has come to help us yet, lamented Sumati Tudu.Most of the mud houses in Palashbari, Bijora, Dharmapur, Ranipukur, Farkkabad, Ajimpur and Rajarampur unions, have collapsed. People have taken shelter in storm centres, on the embankment, and on roads. Most of the roads are damaged.People did not get any flood relief assistance before Wednesday. They were worried and did not know when they could repair their damaged homestead move back in.In a nearby village, Shakir, 30 houses out of 35 are destroyed. Most of the inhabitants of Bujruk Basantapur village have taken shelter on the embankment and are camping out in makeshift sheds made of polythene and tin. Some 300 people have taken shelter here since last Saturday.Speaking to Prothom Alo, chairman of Birol upazila, ANM Bazlur Rashid, said that traditionally people live in mud houses here. Around 90 per cent of the mud houses have collapsed, mostly belonging to the poor. The houses still standing are at risk and are likely to collapse within a few days due to water-logging. Relief could not be sent to remote areas of the upazila.Khalid Mahmud Chowdhury, member of parliament from Dinajpur-2 (Birol-Bochaganj) constituency, told Prothom Alo that he has informed the prime minister of the suffering of the people. She is scheduled to visit the area on 30 August, he said.last_img read more

Measurement of the finestructure constant casts doubt on dark photon theories

first_img Journal information: Science Explore further Citation: Measurement of the fine-structure constant casts doubt on dark photon theories (2018, April 13) retrieved 18 August 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2018-04-fine-structure-constant-dark-photon-theories.html NA64 hunts the mysterious dark photon Precision measurements of the fine-structure constant. A comparison of measurements. “0” on the plot is the CODATA 2014 recommended value. The green points are from photon recoil experiments; the red ones are from electron ge − 2 measurements. The inset is a close-up view of the bottom three measurements. Error bars indicate 1s uncertainty. StanfU, Stanford University; UWash, University of Washington; LKB, Laboratoire Kastler Brossel; HarvU, Harvard University. Credit: Science (2018). DOI: 10.1126/science.aap7706 This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.center_img A team of researchers from the University of California and Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory has conducted an ultra-precise measurement of the fine-structure constant, and in so doing, have found evidence that casts doubts on dark photon theory. In their paper published in the journal Science, the group describes their measurement process and what they found by using it. © 2018 Phys.org More information: Richard H. Parker et al. Measurement of the fine-structure constant as a test of the Standard Model, Science (2018). DOI: 10.1126/science.aap7706AbstractMeasurements of the fine-structure constant α require methods from across subfields and are thus powerful tests of the consistency of theory and experiment in physics. Using the recoil frequency of cesium-133 atoms in a matter-wave interferometer, we recorded the most accurate measurement of the fine-structure constant to date: α = 1/137.035999046(27) at 2.0 × 10−10 accuracy. Using multiphoton interactions (Bragg diffraction and Bloch oscillations), we demonstrate the largest phase (12 million radians) of any Ramsey-Bordé interferometer and control systematic effects at a level of 0.12 part per billion. Comparison with Penning trap measurements of the electron gyromagnetic anomaly ge − 2 via the Standard Model of particle physics is now limited by the uncertainty in ge − 2; a 2.5σ tension rejects dark photons as the reason for the unexplained part of the muon’s magnetic moment at a 99% confidence level. Implications for dark-sector candidates and electron substructure may be a sign of physics beyond the Standard Model that warrants further investigation. The fine-structure constant is a number that characterizes the strength of the force of electromagnetic interactions between charged particles, such as those that are involved in keeping electrons from traveling outside of their atoms. Up until now, it has been derived using the magnetic properties of electrons and calculations that are still considered to be theoretical. As the researchers note, more precise measurements allow for testing the Standard Model of particle physics. To that end, they sought to measure the constant through more direct means. To accomplish this feat, they aimed a laser at cesium-133 atoms (matter-wave interferometry) to force them into quantum superposition and then took a close look at what happened between them as they relaxed back to their natural state. The interference that occurred, the team reports, revealed the speed at which the atoms traveled when they were struck by the laser—they used that number to determine the fine-structure constant. They claim their work has allowed for calculating the fine-structure constant to better than one part per billion.The researchers report that the number they determined has closely matched the theory, which offers some confirmation of theories that suggest electrons are not made up of smaller, unknown particles. But it also casts doubt on theories surrounding the existence of dark photons.Dark photons, theory has suggested, are particles nearly identical to photons, but have mass. They may also interact with other particles. If proof could be found of their existence, it would bolster theories regarding dark matter in general, because dark matter theory suggests they would be the force carrier. On the bright side, because the number they extracted was close to that theorized, but not exact, there is still room for other particle theories to explain the discrepancy.last_img read more

NEET examinees cannot wear belts caps metallic items cannot carry food water

first_imgKolkata: The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE), a national level board that conducts the nationwide medical entrance examination National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET) 2018, triggered controversy after it imposed certain restrictions on candidates which many have termed to be “absurd”. All medical aspirants will be forced to agree on the regulations set by it. The candidates had to agree on certain rules framed by the CBSE before being able to download their admit cards from the NEET website. The instructions issued by the Board have not only sparked a row among the medical aspirants but several of them are even confused about the new directives. Also Read – Heavy rain hits traffic, flightsThe directives state that no students will be allowed to enter the examination centre with any metallic items, ornaments like ring, earrings, nose-pin, chain or necklaces, pendants, badges and brooches. The barred items also include wallets, handbags, belts, caps etc. Many medical aspirants from Bengal, irrespective of their caste, creed and religion, have raised questions on the decision of the Board.There was confusion among the students belonging to the Sikh community whether they would be able to wear the ‘kada’ and carry the ‘kirpan’ to the examination hall as both are metallic items. Married women belonging to the Hindu community also raised questions if they would be able to wear iron bangles or ‘mangalsutra’ which they consider to be auspicious. Restrictions imposed on using of caps and similar items triggered uncertainty if the Sikh students will be allowed to enter the examination centre wearing turbans. Banned items also include eatables including opened or packed, water bottles, stationery items, bits of papers, geometry/pencil box, any watch/wrist watches, bracelets, cameras etc. There are also some restrictions on wearing dresses as well. Candidates have to wear light clothes with half sleeves not having big buttons, brooches/badges, flowers etc with salwar/trouser. It’s mandatory for the candidates to wear slippers, sandals with low heel and not closed shoes. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Merc, 2 B’deshi bystanders killedDr A K Maity, an expert in the field of medical education in the country, said: “CBSE must consider some issues on humanitarian grounds. Students have to enter the examination centres in two slots. Candidates belonging to slot A have to enter halls between 7.30 and 8.30 am while slot B candidates between 8.30 and 9.30 pm. The examination starts at 10 am and continues till 1 pm. How are these candidates to remain without food for such a long time?” “The CBSE must ensure that the students at least get some food and purified drinking water. The Bengal government used to conduct the medical entrance examination in a more systematic manner. Each candidate now has to pay Rs 1400 for appearing in the NEET while they had to pay only Rs 500 when the exam used to be conducted by the West Bengal Joint Entrance Board,” Dr Maity maintained. The NEET 2018 will be held at 99 centres across Bengal on May 6 where around 59,390 candidates from the state will appear. It may be mentioned that despite its efforts, the national level Board failed to check the leakage of NEET question papers in previous two years.last_img read more

Recap Two lanes closed due to accident on M6

first_imgUPDATE: This accident has now cleared Two lanes are closed on the M6 motorway due to an accident in Cheshire this afternoon. The lanes are shut on the southbound carriageway between Junction 19 and Junction 18, near Knutsford. We have no further information on the accident itself at this stage. Inrix, the traffic data company, reports lanes two and three are closed and traffic is queuing in the area. A Highways England spokesman said: “2 lanes (of 3) are closed on the M6 southbound between J19 and J18, just after Knutsford, due to a collision. Our Traffic Officers have just arrived at scene. updates to follow.” The accident is believed to have taken place shortly after 2pm today (Saturday October 20 2018). Traffic England are currently reporting 30 minute delays – and Highways England say there are three mile queues in the area. We will bring you live updates as we get them on the feed below. Read MoreMotorists warned of delays as wide load passes through Staffordshire and Cheshire The affected stretch of carriageway (Image: Inrix) Want to tell us about something going on where you live? Let us know – Tweet us @SOTLive or message us on our Facebook page . And if you have pictures to share, tag us on Instagram at StokeonTrentLive . Want to keep up to date with the latest traffic and travel news?Each day Stoke-on-Trent Live journalists bring you the latest news on the roads and railways across Stoke-on-Trent, North Staffordshire, South Cheshire and further afield to help keep you on the move. For the very latest updates on roads including the M6, A500, A50 and more, visit our dedicated traffic and travel news channel here. We also run a live news feed each weekday, which you can access on our website’s homepage from 7am to 9pm from Monday to Friday. And for more as-we-get-it updates on the roads across the region and beyond, join The Sentinel’s traffic and travel Facebook group here.15:25Highways England confirm all lanes have reopened – but delays continueA Highways England spokesman said:On the M6 southbound within the roadworks, J19 – J18, our Traffic Officers have helped the emergency services to clear the collision. Closed lanes have now re-opened. But allow time for the delays in this area to begin easing. “15:24Reports coming in all lanes have reopenedWe’re now getting reports all three lanes have reopened on the M6 motorway, although there are still long delays according to traffic data company Inrix.15:23Another Highways England picture from the sceneAnother photo of the scene on the M6 this afternoon (Image: Highways England)15:21Four miles of queuesA Highways England spokesman said:On the M6 southbound within the roadworks, J19 – J18, we’ve worked hard to ensure that a lane still remains open past the scene of the collision whilst the emergency services continue deal with the situation. Approx’ 4½ miles of queues. “15:13Accident involves two carsThe accident on the M6 involves two cars. One car is sideways across lanes one and two (of three). 14:5873 minute delaysTraffic data company Inrix are currently reporting 73 minute delays against expected traffic.14:45Recovery vehicles at the sceneRecovery vehicles at the scene (Image: Highways England)14:42Latest from Highways EnglandA Highways England spokesman said:Approximately 3½ miles of queuing traffic, M6 southbound, J19 – J18, while we help the recovery trucks deal with a collision in the roadworks. Only one lane is open. Allow extra time for your journey. “14:36Three and a half mile queuesHighways England are now reporting three and a half mile queues on the M6 due to the accident.last_img read more